Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming with honey, got some questions.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
automatauntaun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 26

its primed! so three weeks...4.7 oz. (2/3 cups? slightly tipsy as i write this so forgive)
I did not dilute in warm water just stirred as i bottled and ended up 3 bottled short. Due to sludge and slight spillage.
We will see. I would like to thank all the people on here for all the help for beer number 1. I'm gonna keep these puppies at 70-80 and swirl them almost everyday. see what happens. had some tonight. honey obviously came through and the hops and pumpkin spice where their.. next time i plan to boil pumpkin/butternut squash in as well as more barley and more hops. working to get a mix of pumpking and dogfihs head punkas a end result. the pumkin pie and crust taste as well as a hop punch.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 965

I love priming with honey and use it almost exclusively as my bottling sugar. Be careful what kind you use, some will add nothing in terms of flavor but some will give you a nice hint.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
automatauntaun
Recipes 

Yeah, I have heard that. I used local wildflower honey. I will try this recipe again and next time I might try local buckwheat honey.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
automatauntaun
Recipes 

So I had a little accident. Late late into the evening filling the beer I realized my wand was fillin up with hip pellet particulate.
This was cause by me carrying the growler up and shaking it a bit. (Bruised rib so carry stuff is complicated)
So some bottles have a normle acceptable amount of stuff floating in the bottle.
Others have a MASSIVE amount on the bottom. How can I excpect this to affect the flavore? The more in a bottle the more affects? Or will it just be a nuisances?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #15
automatauntaun
Recipes 

OK! so one eek in prime. and i decided i wanted to see what it was turning into. SO i opened a bottle up.
I have been keeping it at 70-80. lightly spinning the bottle once or twice a week.
My first pour was like this

This head is nice and foamy but as you can see...theirs a lot of it. Now, its not over carbonated. Well what i mean is it is not overly fizzy.
It has some fruity flavors. ( probubly off flavor from my not cooling it fast enough. but not enough to ruin it. it is slightly bitter as i added bittering hops. The only other issue is a LOT of hop residue due to a issue involving my not noticing hop residue building up in my syphon. so some bottles have WAY more garbage in them then others.
My question concerns the carbonating with honey. As time pass's will this beer get more carbonated or less? and if after two more weeks it is over fizzy would letting it sit more do it any good? thanks in advanced!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #16
automatauntaun
Recipes 

So, my beers have become very overly carbonated. is their any cure? like letting it sit? making it cooler, or warmer. or should i just pop'em and pour'em befor they explode Al a braking bad?
please help.