Headaches - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Headaches
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
apocalikik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Headaches

Anyone know what gives you headaches from homemade wine. I only used commercial juice and yeast nothing else, no Campden or anything like that. Everytime I drink it, the next morning my head is killing me but if I drink a wine from a winery one that contains sulfites even, I feel perfectly fine the next morning. What gives?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalikik
Anyone know what gives you headaches from homemade wine. I only used commercial juice and yeast nothing else, no Campden or anything like that. Everytime I drink it, the next morning my head is killing me but if I drink a wine from a winery one that contains sulfites even, I feel perfectly fine the next morning. What gives?
What types of wines, reds, whites, fruits??

Could be the alcohol content and/or the tannins in your red wines.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Hello - I'm not experienced in the ways of wine making, only a few batches. But I have a thread in another part of the forum asking why the buzz I get from my homebrew is different from the buzz I get drinking the beers I'm trying to emulate in my homebrew.

As regards your headaches, I know that red wine hurts me worse than white in that regard. I also know that fermentation temperatures affect the final product and how many undesirable side effect components it contains (clumsy language there) - in my beer it's fusel oils and other such stuff. I believe red wine has a higher ideal temperature range than white, so you should be good there, but again, not my field of specialty.

I also suspect the kinds of sugars you're fermenting have an influence, but I'm only starting to learn here, so now I'll shut my mouth and wish you a good weekend with no headaches.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
apocalikik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm assuming its the tannins or something else because the alcohol content on my first wine was only a 6% more like a grape beer haha and I only consumed a pint glass or less. Maybe I'll supplement with water just wasn't sure if anyone else was having similar effects.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7303 Times on 5165 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

If you're getting headaches from a 6% drink, it's got to be fusels. Those are "higher" alcohols that cause headaches and hangovers, usually from a too-high fermentation temperature but stressed yeast can do it too.