Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wow the crush DOES make a difference

Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wow the crush DOES make a difference

I did my first AG brews this weekend.
Saturday I did 10 gallons of Edwort's pale ale and all went well, got 79% ef.
Then Sunday I did the Stone IPA clone and only got 66% ef.

At first I was like "What the hell?" But then I remembered something.
Friday night when I was getting and crushing the grains at my LHBS I had crushed all the 16# of 2-row for the APA and was well into the 2-row for the IPA when I just happend to see that the lock-nut for the mill's addjustment had worked it's self lose. I looked the the grains and I could see a lot of uncrushed grain, then looked down at that 20 some pounds I had already done (with a hand crank corrona mill) and thought that there is no way I'm going to go back thru and recrush all that.
I readjusted the mill and cranked on.

Now I see what a difference this makes.. I will be ordering my own mill some time this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts

Two words: Barley Crusher.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've had a drop in efficiency (74-75% vs. 70%) compared to store crush with my Barley Crusher, but I haven't tried adjusting it. I don't really care all that much as long as I know the expected result, and being able to keep a stock of grain and crush at home is a lot more convenient.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Two words: Barley Crusher.
Yeah that's what I want. But seeing how I got 79% with a $20 mill, it make it hard to drop that extra $100+ on the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
Yeah that's what I want. But seeing how I got 79% with a $20 mill, it make it hard to drop that extra $100+ on the other one.
I got 80% on my last batch with my $20 Corona-style mill too. I have also been consistently in the high 70's now. I still want a Barley Crusher, but I agree that it is hard to drop that much cash when you have something that works fine.

The BC definitely is easier to adjust, though.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
Speed and a more consistent crush is what I've heard you'll gain by spending the extra money. If you're doing large batches it may save you quite a bit of time. As far as the consistent crush matters? Probably not as tons of people use 'em and get similar results.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblvsn
Speed and a more consistent crush is what I've heard you'll gain by spending the extra money. If you're doing large batches it may save you quite a bit of time. As far as the consistent crush matters? Probably not as tons of people use 'em and get similar results.
I don't think speed has anything to do with it. For 40 cents and my electric drill, I motorized my mill and I can grind 10 lbs of grain in a couple/few minutes.

Consistency is a bigger issue - I know that my Corona-style mill doesn't give a consistent crush - lots of grains are just barely cracked. To compensate, I crush a little finer at the cost of lautering. I haven't actually had a stuck sparge yet, but I suspect I would if I was using a manifold or false bottom instead of a SS braid. The other downside is that by grinding more finely, I shred the husks a bit more. Since I batch sparge, I haven't worried about tannin extraction, but it would be more of a concern for fly spargers, I think. However, I also know that there are some fly spargers using Corona mills here and getting efficiencies in the high 70's or low 80's, so it must work for them.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you believe that you will be brewing for quite some time in the future then the purchase of a mill makes sense and you will not be disappointed. My mill was well worth the effort and inconsistentcy of my prior efforts.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I love my Crankandstein - fantastic crush with no problems