Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle - Page 22 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle

View Poll Results: Should I try it?
Go for it! Tell me how it goes! 37 45.12%
Seriously? The fact that you ask makes me think you are mentally ill. 27 32.93%
Dammit I clicked on another CreamyGoodness thread! ~Chapp 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #211
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

I don't remember scoffing! *scoff*

now THAT is a scoff. Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #212
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
You scoff... I think I'm on to something personally. Not sure what is the problem.
Onto or on something??

Seriously though, I wouldn't use anything that is known to produce slime, or other congealing substances... So no hagfish mead.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #213
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Didn't you make a cucumber mead also, or was that some other crazy jackass?
I've had cucumber juice a few times (in Mexico). It was quite delicious and very refreshing, though looking back I'm thinking it was probably somewhat sweetened, though I can't be sure. Cucumber IS actually a fruit, after all, and I've had some fairly sweet ones over the years, so maybe there are cultivars that are even sweeter. Maybe if they are left unpicked for a much longer time then typical, they'll develop adequate sweetness, but I don't really know.

Point is, though, that while okra mead is something that instantly makes me wonder about the mental health of such an abomination's creator, I think a semi-sweet or maybe even a sweet cucumber mead could actually turn out fantastic. I may have to try it... eventually. I certainly wouldn't discourage someone from trying it.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #214
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

Many have tried cucumber mead and all have called it an abomination. I know of like Saramc and at least one other that have done it.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #215
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

I don't see how leaving a cucumber on the vine longer will result in a sweeter cuke. IME, if you let them get too big (leaving them longer) then you'll get a more woody/tougher cuke. There could be a variety, though, that is sweeter than the rest (haven't looked into it at all).

Personally, I'd rather eat cucumbers, in all the different variations you can, than make a mead with them.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #216
Bedlam

Recipes 

Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts

I read an article recently about how they are studying the chemical structure of hagfish slime. The goal is to produce more interesting textures for clothing.

I'm thinking you are sitting on a gold mine with that mead...You can be the next Pus Diddly (or whatever he's calling himself these days) and come up with your own okra-mead clothing line!!

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #217
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Yes older cucumbers are more bitter, although this has 90% to do with variety and even within that there is variance from one fruit to the next. Armenian cucumbers are probably the sweetest ones I've grown. Also providing really rich soil and tons of water helps. When the cucumber grows to full size in 36 hours it can't help but be nice and sweet.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #218
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tokushima, Japan
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have you ever eaten a clean okra seed by itself? Interesting taste- very different than the whole okra. Food for thought...

Experimenting can be fun! Well, at least it can provide some entertainment.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #219
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I don't see how leaving a cucumber on the vine longer will result in a sweeter cuke. IME, if you let them get too big (leaving them longer) then you'll get a more woody/tougher cuke. There could be a variety, though, that is sweeter than the rest (haven't looked into it at all).

Personally, I'd rather eat cucumbers, in all the different variations you can, than make a mead with them.
I was just thinking of how most fruits grow sweeter as they ripen, but that part was definitely conjecture, as I'm not exactly a gardener.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #220
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
I was just thinking of how most fruits grow sweeter as they ripen, but that part was definitely conjecture, as I'm not exactly a gardener.
Ah, that explains it then.

While many fruits get better with more time on the plant/tree, cucumbers are not one of them. Let a cuke go longer and chances are it will become a thing of hate and fail (sort of like with people )...

I hope to have some kind of garden going come spring this year. I wasn't able to do that where I was living before. Now, I at least have the option of having something. If I can find a spot that gets enough (but not too much) sun.

Fermenting
K1: