Visitors - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Visitors

Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #41
Whattawort
Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
I'm a friendly sort of person and I get on well with most folk. Anyone knocking on my door will be welcomed with a big smile and a warm hello. Inwardly though, I am scooping out their eyeballs with a blunt fork, ripping off their heads and booting them in the naughty bits like an out of control ball-kicking machine.

I'm a friendly looking hypocrite that HATES to be disturbed. If you want to see me unannounced, make an announcement five weeks in advance in a letter that has been notarized, duplicated and set on fire and the ashes rammed up your ass.
You sure got a Purdy mouth

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

nmfree Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #42
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
If you want to see me unannounced, make an announcement five weeks in advance in a letter that has been notarized, duplicated and set on fire and the ashes rammed up your ass.
It's a bit lengthy, but that's quite the oxymoron it I've ever seen one.

I do agree, though, that unannounced visitors need to be taught a lesson in common courtesy in the form of anal ash rapage. This include salespeople and political campaigners because they should already know we don't want them around. We've been bothered at least twice a week for the last three weeks by a Democratic Senate campaigner looking for our landlord.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #43
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5302 Times on 4515 Posts

No Soliciting

Someone tell me what that means.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #44
Whattawort
Recipes 

Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts

If there's one thing I like about our neighborhood covenant/HOA, it's the part that specifically states that solicitors are not welcome. The whole neighborhood will bully their arses out of the subdivision if a salesman starts knocking on doors. Other than that....the HOA can touch it.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #45
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Palmer, MA
Liked 2019 Times on 1754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I trained my 120 pound German Shepweiler to aggressively try to get through the door whenever someone rings the doorbell and I crack it. Most people are in a pretty big hurry to get out of there when they see me trying to hold him back. Little do they know he only wants to lick them, not bite them

I also sometimes like to answer my door whilst carrying a firearm. That does the trick a lot... especially with the security alarm salesmen.
You taught your dog to try to get out the door! Nice spin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think it's where we live. We just leave the door open, in case someone wants to get in. I mean, the only people that would go in my house would be either 1. a thief, or 2. a friend.

If it's a thief, I supposed the locked door might dissuade him. But probably not too much. A friend might run over and let my dog out, or drop something off, or borrow something. If it's a thief, and they want an old TV or old desktop, they can have it. The guns are locked up, and we don't have anything else of much value, and no prescription drugs or anything.

If someone ones to break in and take an old TV, it's just easier to leave the door open for them, I guess.
It is where you live. Any time we had a knock on the door, we'd yell "Come in!", and they would. Always thought it strange that TV people went to the door and opened it.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #46
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2436 Times on 1347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Confession: I hate hearing my door bell. It's usually my landlord wanting a check, or someone trying to sell me something. If I am not expecting anyone, my wife has to hear me bellow "who the F' is knocking on my door!?"

I then go out on my balcony and look down. I'm definitely not putting on pants and going downstairs for Greenpeace or "a positive message." I Save no Children on Saturday mornings.

I have a small handfull of friends who can come over anytime they want, and they call ahead of time.

My inlaws have a house in Michigan on Grand Lake, and folks will just stop by without notice. It's insane. One time we woke up and came downstairs for coffee, and on the table was a pie with a note. My wife and I approached it as if it were a rattlesnake. How did it get there?? Apparently the neighbor lady, who is a nice lovely person by the way, came into the house while we were sleeping and dropped off a pie. I cannot tell you how creepy that is.

Like I said though, shes a nice lady, and thats the culture of the area.

So, let me ask you, New Yorkers and non-New Yorkers alike, how do you feel about surprise visitors?
1st off, get yourself a "NO SOLICITORS" sign & put it on the front door. Change the locks & don't leave the door(s) unlocked.
Remember, you are not required to answer the door, or the phone for that matter. What if somebody stops by unannounced & you're not home? Just let them think you're not home; after a few times of that, they'll start calling 1st.

Now, if you want to have some fun, keep a few water balloons in a bucket on your balcony; unwanted visitors/solicitors will learn quick to leave you alone.
Or you could just answer the door naked; that usually keeps 'em from coming back. Problem with the naked thing is at least 1 of them will like it & want to join in.

Anybody who respects you & your privacy will call 1st, even if they're standing on the front lawn; it's just common courtesy as far as I'm concerned. I mean, what if you & the missus are getting your groove on? Are you going to stop to answer the door, or phone? I won't. Anybody needs to talk to me that badly, they better have a metric ton of $100 bills for me!
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #47
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
You taught your dog to try to get out the door! Nice spin!
Its not spin TOO much. I get him riled up saying "Get em' eegs get em'" and he tries to get out the door. If I tell him "Back! Sit!" He backs from the door and sits obediently.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #48
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2436 Times on 1347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
No Soliciting

Someone tell me what that means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solicitation
Regards, GF.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #49
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5302 Times on 4515 Posts

Quote:
These signs are very often ignored.
The most accurate part of that wiki.

We have such a sign since door to door had gotten very popular in our neighborhood. Maybe it's stopped some, but most seem to think it means ring the doorbell and knock.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #50
Frige
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Houston, Texas
Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts

I think my door locks but its been a while and I am not sure if I can find the keys anymore. I am on 2.5 fenced acres in the woods. First you have to find the dead end road, then find the dirt road, more of a goat path really. Then get past the shepherd, more bark than bite really. Then get past the cat, then find me. I dont get many salespeople. LOL Just beer guzzling neighbors...