Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second PM - Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #1
SW Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Second PM - Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

I emptied my primary and one of my secondaries so I thought I would try to up my brewhouse efficiency a bit this weekend and try my hand at another PM. I figured with a PM I would have the safety net of some DME. I think I finally hit it, though Beersmith disagrees. I ended up with an OG of 1.064, which is what the recipe author stated he got, but Beersmith said I should be getting 1.073.

I stirred the mash twice at 20 minute intervals this time and I hit my mash temp right on. I batch sparged with two gallons of water and hit my sparge temp right on. Then I sparged again with one gallon and began boiling. I stirred during both sparges too, just to be safe. My initial boil volume was about 3.75 gallons which resulted in about 3 gallons of wort, to which I added two gallons of water in my fermentor. Its pretty dark now, though they hydrometer flask shows a nice copper color.

I used irish moss for the first time in this brew. The fermentor has between 4 and 5 inches of trub in the bottom already. Is that normal? I havent seen that kind of result in the past 8 batches I brewed. At any rate, I think this is going to be a great winter beer. I used a double starter (1 cup of DME in four cups water using Wyeast 1056 propogator smack pack), so I am hoping for a really strong fermentation.

Greg

Secondary2:Red Hawk Ale (Extract)
Secondary3:Air
Bottled:Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (PM) Batch Two
Bottled:Northern Brewer IIPA
Bottled:
On Deck:Nothing, my wife will kill me!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just transferred this to secondary and MAN does it taste GREAT! I am definitly making this soon. I can already tell that its going to be gone fast after its bottled!

Greg

Bottled:

Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While the first batch dry hops, I brewed another PM of this recipe because I can tell its going to rock. This time, however, my wife called while I was at the office to tell me that the airlock had sprayed water everywhere and the beer was starting to come out the top! I rushed home and sure enough it the krausen was coming out the neck of my 6.5 gallon carboy. I grabbed the blowoff hose, sanitized it and put it into a pitcher of sanitized water. Its bubbling away now and foamy junk is starting to travel along inside the hose. I am wondering if I got better efficiency and there is more fementables for the yeasties this time. Of course, I forgot to take a hydro reading before I pitched, so I have no idea what it was.

Greg
Bottled:

Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
PsicloneRN

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can you post the recipe you are using this sounds like i might have to try this. Thanks

Planning- Centennial Blonde, SNPA clone
Primary- AG Bavarian Hefeweizen, AG Haus Pale Ale
Secondary- Blueberry Mead
Bottled- Dry. Dear lord no!
On Tap- Robust Porter, Old Ale

Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds as though your methods are improving. A blow off tube really is a great safety net because you don't need to worry about air locks clogging. I use one for every batch.

Celebration Ale is a great beer, I have a modified version in bottles waiting for consumption very soon.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiclone
Can you post the recipe you are using this sounds like i might have to try this. Thanks
Here it is:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26480

Greg
Bottled:

Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Sounds as though your methods are improving. A blow off tube really is a great safety net because you don't need to worry about air locks clogging. I use one for every batch.

Celebration Ale is a great beer, I have a modified version in bottles waiting for consumption very soon.
I am really impressed with how strong this fermentation is. I havent had one like this ever, though the last batch came close to the top of the carboy. My dad and I brewed a double IPA extract batch that blew the lid off his fementation bucket after the airlock got clogged with gunk. My mom was not happy

Greg

Bottled: