Starter: Decant Wort or Not? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter: Decant Wort or Not?

Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,420
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts

When I make a starter, typically 1.5L to 1.8L, I've been adding the wort and yeast into the fermenter.

What's everyone else doing? Decanting the wort off and just pitching the yeast slurry?

Any advantages or disadvantages either way?

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
helibrewer's Avatar
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,820
Liked 327 Times on 276 Posts

I chill 24 hours then decant. I don't need the additional liquid and the starter "beer" generally isn't that good. On the other side, if you pitch the entire thing while the starter is at high krausen your fermentation should start fairly quickly...the yeast are at their peak and eager for more food.
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
J187's Avatar
Jan 2012
, MA
Posts: 851
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Depends also on your beer... I'd refrain from pitching the whole thing into a light beer. For most ales, its probably just a matter of preference. I like decanting unless I run out of time.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,331
Liked 389 Times on 326 Posts

For anything in the 1L range, I just toss it all in. If it is a really big beer/starter, I'll decant.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
SoonerDoc's Avatar
Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Posts: 396
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I decant. I didn't do anything for the starter to make it taste like beer, it's just made it as nutrient for the yeast. I doubt it matters a lot but, to me, it makes sense to decant.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Francus's Avatar
Aug 2012
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 117
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I prefer to decant so I try and make the starter enough ahead of time so that it settles out. (I use a stir plate) However, if I don't for some reason I'll pour the whole thing in. If it is a light beer or lager I'll decant as much as seems practical and dump in the rest.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
unionrdr's Avatar
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,991
Liked 3714 Times on 3185 Posts

I basically agree. Just leave enough liquid in the container to swirl the yeast up into suspension in order to pour it all out.
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing-
Distopian Sci-Fi-
New! John Henry-

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Obliviousbrew's Avatar
Feb 2012
Benidorm, Alicante/Spain
Posts: 1,567
Liked 230 Times on 161 Posts

When is a regular brew and not a very big starter I pitch at high krausen the whole thing, if itīs a really big starter for a big beer I prefer crashing cold and decanting.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,042
Liked 440 Times on 351 Posts

I really don't see how pitching the entire starter would ever be beneficial to the flavor of the end beer...whether we're talking about 300 ml or 3000 ml. For common sense reasons, I always cold crash starters for 24 hours prior to brewing. On brew day, after my mash, I'll gently set the starter on the counter and let it slowly rise to room temperature. After the boil, when the wort is cooled, I gently decant 90% of the starter wort, stir the yeast cake with the remaining 10%, then pitch into the oxygenated main wort.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,420
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts

That's it, I'm decanting from now on. For nearly every batch since making starters, I have pitched the entire thing. Using your feedback, and thinking back on the process, it makes sense to decant. My starters are hop-free and just light or dark DME, that's it. No temperature control and done right in the kitchen, often with the blinds open (no direct sunlight though).

For my last brew, an Arrogant Bastart clone, I used WLP007. No need to crash cool this yeast, it drops and and gelatanizes quickly.

Thank you all for the advice.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To decant or not to decant a starter Sarrsipius Fermentation & Yeast 4 10-09-2012 12:03 PM
Yeast starter.. To decant, or not to decant? superfknmario Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 10-01-2012 03:57 AM
second stage of yeast starter, decant first or just add more wort? jigidyjim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 08-01-2010 11:41 PM
Do you decant your starter before you add more wort to it? (for hi-gravity beer) rockout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 06-03-2010 12:21 AM
Starter: To Decant or not to Decant... Pelikan General Techniques 6 12-22-2008 02:35 PM

Forum Jump