Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini Mash with a very small amount of grain OK...

Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
I think the typical range is somewhere between 1 and 1.5qts, so you can go at least a bit beyond 1.25 without any trouble. I couldn't really tell you where the effective limit is, though I believe Yooper suggested earlier in this thread that as much as 2 gallons per pound would work also - not sure if that'd start to eat into your efficiency at that point though, which I guess goes to your question.
I know you mean quarts here, but just to clarify for the newer folks that read this

I think I've heard some of the BIAB folks go as high as 3 quarts/lb for full boils - 7.5 gallon boil on 10lbs of grain. That to me seems REALLY thin, but they do it in Australia a lot I gues.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6231 Times on 4439 Posts
Likes Given: 1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
I think the typical range is somewhere between 1 and 1.5qts, so you can go at least a bit beyond 1.25 without any trouble. I couldn't really tell you where the effective limit is, though I believe Yooper suggested earlier in this thread that as much as 2 gallons per pound would work also - not sure if that'd start to eat into your efficiency at that point though, which I guess goes to your question.
Traditionally, mashing uses 1.25- 2 quarts of water per pound of grain. But there are some BIABers who use a much higher ratio. I never have, but I have used 2 quarts of water per pound when I had a smaller mash.

I remember someone (John Palmer?) saying that in general you want to use no more than about 3 quarts of water per pound of grain total, including the sparge. I've kept that in the back of my mind for years- but of course the BIAB folks have successfully been doing that or thinner.

Still, for traditional mini-mashes, I'd keep the 2 quarts of water per pound of grain as a max until I had more experience with thinner mashes.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
stratslinger
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I know you mean quarts here, but just to clarify for the newer folks that read this
D'oh!!!