Mini Mash with a very small amount of grain OK... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mini Mash with a very small amount of grain OK...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
J187
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, MA
Posts: 837
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
What's your primary concern here? Boil size or grain bill? Not quite sure what you're going for, so not sure which way to point you...

I mean, if you're trying to mash with one gallon of water, you could easily mash 2 or 3lbs of grain in that volume, then sparge with few quarts or what have you (the full 2 gallons may be overkill), then top off your volume to 3 gallons and bring it up to a boil from there.

If you were dead set on mashing just 1lb (you're really not going to get a whole lot of fermentables or enzymes from just 1lb, but we'll go with it for purposes of the example), you could still do so with 1/2 gallon of water, sparge with another couple quarts, and still then top that off with enough water to reach your 3 gallon boil.

But it'd really help to know what you're trying to get out of this thought experiment.
Your confusion is warranted, because I'm not dealing in terms of a practical recipe. However, I was thinking about the whole mini mash process and was trying to understand it better - including parameters and such. I was thinking that I always see people mashing 5lbs, 6lbs of grain in a mini, but was wondering if there was ever a reason to mash much less and also, if from a logistic standpoint, it was a viable option. I was thinking about someone perhaps taking an extract brew that they may just want to add something to it that wouldn't steep - for example oats in a stout - you can steep oats for mouthfeel, but if you had an extract recipe and just wanted to get a little bit of the conversation from say a lb of oats.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
stratslinger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
stratslinger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Terryville, CT
Posts: 2,435
Liked 203 Times on 169 Posts


Gotcha - but if you wanted that, you'd in turn also need to add some base malt to get the enzymes to do the conversion. And if you're going to do a mini-mash anyway, why not just do a 4 or 5lb grain bill? Sure, you could do it with only a pound or two, but it seems like you'd be potentially making it harder on yourself working in smaller increments.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
J187
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, MA
Posts: 837
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Gotcha - but if you wanted that, you'd in turn also need to add some base malt to get the enzymes to do the conversion. And if you're going to do a mini-mash anyway, why not just do a 4 or 5lb grain bill? Sure, you could do it with only a pound or two, but it seems like you'd be potentially making it harder on yourself working in smaller increments.
That makes a lot of sense.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


There is a lower limit to the amount of strike water you can use while mashing. If you go much below 1 qt water per lb grain, you won't have sufficient water to wet the grains thoroughly and the mash will probably not convert properly. I would suggest somewhere between 1.25 and 2 qts per lb because with a thick mash, it is more difficult to break up the dough balls.

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
J187
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, MA
Posts: 837
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
There is a lower limit to the amount of strike water you can use while mashing. If you go much below 1 qt water per lb grain, you won't have sufficient water to wet the grains thoroughly and the mash will probably not convert properly. I would suggest somewhere between 1.25 and 2 qts per lb because with a thick mash, it is more difficult to break up the dough balls.

-a.
Thanks for the reply- I think you've confused the question a bit. I fully understand the limitations regarding the lower grain to water ratios... what I was questioning is the lowest amount of grain that can be used, so that there isn't a pitiful amount of water in the pan - since there is such little grain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
gr8shandini
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Philly
Posts: 803
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts


You could do one ounce if you wanted to. If you keep the ratio the same, you'll always have enough water in the mash whether you're doing 1 lb or 1000.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Thanks for the reply- I think you've confused the question a bit. I fully understand the limitations regarding the lower grain to water ratios... what I was questioning is the lowest amount of grain that can be used, so that there isn't a pitiful amount of water in the pan - since there is such little grain.
I know that you believe you understand what you asked, but I'm not sure you realize that what you believe you asked is not actually what you meant.
(apologies to Robert McCloskey)
See http://thinkexist.com/quotation/i_kn...you/14623.html

I was answering your question in post 6
"thinking about the water to grain ratio, I became curious as to whether there was a low limit with such a thing"

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #18
moski
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Cleona, Pa
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Another way to ask is, what is the max amount of water you can effectively use per pound of grain? Would you loose or gain from water amounts over 1.25qt per pound?
__________________
Before you judge someone, be sure to walk a mile in their kilt. That way you are at least a mile away, and you have their kilt...

What?! Fifteen cases of beer and not a drop to drink!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
J187
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
, MA
Posts: 837
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by moski View Post
Another way to ask is, what is the max amount of water you can effectively use per pound of grain? Would you loose or gain from water amounts over 1.25qt per pound?
The question was more about the grain than the water. I was asking if it was normal to mash only one lb of grain - since that would leave you with a small amount of water. Ultimately, I ended up mashing 3lbs that time and 5 lbs each subsequent time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
stratslinger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
stratslinger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Terryville, CT
Posts: 2,435
Liked 203 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by moski View Post
Another way to ask is, what is the max amount of water you can effectively use per pound of grain? Would you loose or gain from water amounts over 1.25qt per pound?
I think the typical range is somewhere between 1 and 1.5qts, so you can go at least a bit beyond 1.25 without any trouble. I couldn't really tell you where the effective limit is, though I believe Yooper suggested earlier in this thread that as much as 2 gallons per pound would work also - not sure if that'd start to eat into your efficiency at that point though, which I guess goes to your question.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about a very small Mini Mash tcbucher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-22-2014 02:40 AM
Mini mash vs. All grain - Mini Mash wins Grinder12000 General Beer Discussion 48 03-30-2010 11:22 AM
Does a small amount of mead need to age the same amount of time as a larger batch? Apendecto Mead Forum 4 12-08-2009 11:08 AM
water amount for huge or small grain bills balto charlie All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 10-14-2008 08:32 PM
Mini Mash - sparge question and boil amount Grinder12000 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 10-14-2008 05:27 PM


Forum Jump