Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry hopping with high Alpha acid hops

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
Yeah man, I did a dual hop APA with Pacifica and Pacific Gem...it was all New Zealand. Anyways, the dryhopping didn't work out as planned. I just figured I had old hops or something because the aroma coming out of the carboy was garlicky/oniony. They've mellowed out a bit in the bottle, but still not something I would try again.
I don't remember having that character. Mine was more like berries, but REALLY harsh and pungent. I love pungent, but this was harsh and unpleasant. There are plenty of awesome hops out there, so no use wasting one's time with Pacific Gem.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

That sounds like a crazy hop combo you got going for you. If you want to clean house go for it just to do it but I think you could spread some of those out for a couple of brews. But that might just be me, I only like to use a few hops so I can try and identify what each one brings me.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
That sounds like a crazy hop combo you got going for you. If you want to clean house go for it just to do it but I think you could spread some of those out for a couple of brews. But that might just be me, I only like to use a few hops so I can try and identify what each one brings me.
Just to play the contrarian here...I've really enjoyed beers I've made where I have used a mix of different hops - it seems to add additional complexity and makes the beer more interesting. Mixing hop profiles that are fundamentally similar is one way to do this - like using several different citrusy hops (Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, etc). Another way to go, and one that I have really started using/thinking about is mixing different types of flavors - like using a single citrusy hop (say, Amarillo) and pairing it with something more on the "spicy" scale, like Saaz. I really liked the hop profile of one of my latest beers where I used Motueka, Saaz, and EKG. Of course, there is certainly a law of diminishing returns and it is possible to just muck the whole thing up with too many different hops.

Clearly, there's nothing wrong with using a single hop in a beer (for various reasons), but it can also be wonderful to play with multiple hops to generate a novel "hop experience".

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Just to play the contrarian here...I've really enjoyed beers I've made where I have used a mix of different hops - it seems to add additional complexity and makes the beer more interesting. Mixing hop profiles that are fundamentally similar is one way to do this - like using several different citrusy hops (Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, etc). Another way to go, and one that I have really started using/thinking about is mixing different types of flavors - like using a single citrusy hop (say, Amarillo) and pairing it with something more on the "spicy" scale, like Saaz. I really liked the hop profile of one of my latest beers where I used Motueka, Saaz, and EKG. Of course, there is certainly a law of diminishing returns and it is possible to just muck the whole thing up with too many different hops.

Clearly, there's nothing wrong with using a single hop in a beer (for various reasons), but it can also be wonderful to play with multiple hops to generate a novel "hop experience".
I use EKGs a LOT with American and other hops and it always plays well with them.

Made a Belgian IPA a few weeks ago that used Columbus for first wort hops, EKGs @ 20 min, Tettnanger @ 10 min. Tasted good at sampling, then dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Haven't tasted it since dry hopping, but had lovely results dry hopping a barley wine with Nelson Sauvin before, so sure it'll be tasty. Bottling it on Sunday or so.

EKGs go great with Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, etc etc. Just have to use a bit more of them than the American ones as the American ones often have a stronger character and can overwhelm the EKGs, IMHO.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3024 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

I did one version of my APA with German Haulertauer & Czech Saaz 1oz each at 20 & 10. Nice spice with a tiny bit of that piney thing.