Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry hopping with high Alpha acid hops

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
Then finish with a nice light keg hopping of Willamette, Fuggles, Simcoe, Galaxy, Summit, and Nelson Sauvin. Should be good!

Sorry that was not helpful. Just sounds like a lot of hops which might end up good, but I'm not sure you'll pick up the individual character of any of them. I'm afraid to ask about your grain bill!
4 gallon batch...

8 lbs 2 row
.85 lbs munich
.4 lbs crystal 40
.25 lbs flaked barley

estimated og 1.056

Fermenting with washed 1056. Estimated ABV is 5.7 and I usually hit my numbers so that's probably what it'll be.

Any suggestions on the hop or grain bill? I'm not looking to get a crazy big beer here. I just have a few little bags of good hops I'd like to use before they're no good. I'm not an IPA fanboy but I like them and this will be my first attempt at brewing one. This is actually my first batch that I designed 100%.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I've used Columbus for late hop & dry hop in my IPA. Was pretty darned good to me.
Agreed. I use CTZ for dry hopping a lot.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
dbrewski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow

4 gallon batch...

8 lbs 2 row
.85 lbs munich
.4 lbs crystal 40
.25 lbs flaked barley

estimated og 1.056

Fermenting with washed 1056. Estimated ABV is 5.7 and I usually hit my numbers so that's probably what it'll be.

Any suggestions on the hop or grain bill? I'm not looking to get a crazy big beer here. I just have a few little bags of good hops I'd like to use before they're no good. I'm not an IPA fanboy but I like them and this will be my first attempt at brewing one. This is actually my first batch that I designed 100%.
I like the grain bill. It is a little light for an IPA but that's how I make mine because I like to drink more than two without going to sleep.

On the hops, any more than three hops and you're not going to really get individual flavors, my opinion only. Cascade and amarillo are great together for flavor and aroma. Sorachi might throw a twist in there. I'd leave the others out. Again, just my opinion.

Didn't mean to sound off earlier, thought I was funny. That's usually when I'm not.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #14
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
I like the grain bill. It is a little light for an IPA but that's how I make mine because I like to drink more than two without going to sleep.
Agreed, I like IPAs with an average abv.

Quote:
On the hops, any more than three hops and you're not going to really get individual flavors, my opinion only. Cascade and amarillo are great together for flavor and aroma. Sorachi might throw a twist in there. I'd leave the others out. Again, just my opinion.
Yeah, the sorachi ace will add some nice lemony character under the citrus of the amarillo and cascase. Galena is the cleanest bittering hop I've used so I'm sticking with that since it won't interfere with the flavor. I'm hoping the hallertau will bring out the floral essence in the cascade. The only one I'm hung up on is the nugget. It'll either add a good herb/spice balance or derail the whole thing. I might leave the nugget out.

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound off earlier, thought I was funny. That's usually when I'm not.
I didn't take offense to it, but I also didn't get the joke. No worries, it's hard to communicate cynicism in written form. I fail at jokes consistently in texts and online.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
Anyone ever dry hop with high alpha acid hops? I was reading that they can produce bad unwanted flavors but I don't understand how/why.
What Yooper said. Some hops are lovely and high alpha, some are pretty much bittering only kind of hops. Most of the dual use hops like Chinook, Centennial, Columbus etc work great for dry hopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
I recently dry hopped an APA with Pacific Gem (14%) and was definitely not pleased with the results. I guess it just depends on the hop you're using and of course your mileage may vary, but I'm letting this batch sit to allow the aroma/flavor to mellow out a bit.
I hate that hop. Really unpleasant. I'll never use it again. A good example of a high alpha hop to NOT use for flavor/aroma, IMHO. I used the leftovers for bittering, though, with nice results.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 983

I dryhop with citra, summit and centennial all the time, no harsh or off flavors. Expensive but worth it IMO. My citra IPA was incredible and everyone loved it. It was the first time people compared it to hoppy commercial brews like Firestone, etc.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster
Dry hopping with high AA% hops reduces the amount of vegetal matter. As a result, you are less likely to get grassy notes. Also, there some high alpha hops that I would recommends using only as flavor, aroma or dry hops because of their scarcity, cost, and quality. Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo are all scarce and relatively expensive hops. You're better off with a cheaper bittering hop.
Dry hopping with high AA% hops does not mean you should use less, so the amount of vegetal matter will not be reduced. AA% is only an indicator of the amount of alpha acids in the hop and alpha acids are not what you are trying to extract when dry hopping (or even really when adding hops late in the boil). If I had a recipe that called for dryhopping with an ounce of cascade (a low alpha hop) but I wanted to sub in summit instead (a high alpha hop), I'd probably still use an ounce. Of course, you need to consider the flavor/aroma you are trying to achieve, so you might reduce the amount of dryhop based on that (but not because of the AA%)

My Beer Cellar
koopa Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I hate that hop. Really unpleasant. I'll never use it again. A good example of a high alpha hop to NOT use for flavor/aroma, IMHO. I used the leftovers for bittering, though, with nice results.
Yeah man, I did a dual hop APA with Pacifica and Pacific Gem...it was all New Zealand. Anyways, the dryhopping didn't work out as planned. I just figured I had old hops or something because the aroma coming out of the carboy was garlicky/oniony. They've mellowed out a bit in the bottle, but still not something I would try again.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
Yeah man, I did a dual hop APA with Pacifica and Pacific Gem...it was all New Zealand. Anyways, the dryhopping didn't work out as planned. I just figured I had old hops or something because the aroma coming out of the carboy was garlicky/oniony. They've mellowed out a bit in the bottle, but still not something I would try again.
Thanks for this info - it's good to be aware that this is another hop that has potential for the dreaded onion/garlic profile. I've had this issue with Summit (as have many others). It sounds like this may be batch/harvest specific though since many folks love Summit and have indicated they have never gotten these flavors/aromas. I think it has something to do with the timing of the harvest - if left on the bines too long, the hops start to go towards onions and garlic.

Unfortunately, my one bad experience with Summit has scared me away from it.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have been enjoying using Galaxy for dry hopping, i like the deep passionfruit kind of spice it provides. Its best after a few weeks in the bottle though, when i try it green it can be a bit much.