I have brewed two Coopers kits and want to progress beyond onto extract recipes. I want to brew this and have bought most of the ingredients for it, but I have two questions about it.
Dos Equis Clone Extract with Grains
Yield: 5 Gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.050
Ending Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 4.6% ABV
Color: 10 SRM (Deep Amber)
Bitterness: 22.0 IBU's
Malt & Grain
Malt Bill Grain Bill
7 lbs. Light Malt Syrup or 6 oz. Crystal 20 Lv
5 lb. 10 oz. Light DME (Dry Malt Extract) 16 oz. Vienna Malt
1 oz. Black Barley
1.2 oz. Tettnanger Pellet or Leaf 5.0% Alpha 60 min. Bittering Hops
0.25 oz. Tettnanger Pellet or Leaf 5.0% Alpha 10 min. Flavoring Hops
0.25 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet or Leaf 4.7% Alpha 10 min. Flavoring Hops
4 oz. Maltodextrin (Non-Fermentable) 60 min. Increase Body & Mouthfeel
½ tsp. Irish Moss (or 1 Whirlfloc tablet) 15 min. Clarifier
1 ¼ cup. Light DME At Bottling Carbonation
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager OR Saflager Lager Yeast S-23
1. Steep specialty grains in water and bring to 150-155° F. Remove from heat and steep for additional 15 minutes.
2. Remove the grains and bring water to a boil.
3. Add extract, bittering hops, and maltodextrin.
4. Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, and start timing when rolling boil is achieved.
5. Add hops and miscellaneous additions at intervals listed above.
6. Cool wort to 75° F - 80° F and place into primary fermentor.
7. Stir vigorously for a few minutes, then pitch yeast.
8. Ferment for 5 - 7 days, then transfer to secondary until fermentation is completed.*
9. Transfer to bottling vessel and add priming DME, mix thoroughly and bottle.
10. Store bottles at 65° F - 70° F for 2 weeks minimum to carbonate, then store bottles at cool temperature and enjoy!
* For actual fermentation time, check the specific gravity.
So my first question is will the vienna malt convert starches to sugars this way? I was under the impression it would have to be mashed for an hour at 153F or so.
My second question is can I substitute Coopers brew enhancer 1 for the maltodextrin. The online supplier I bought everything from didn't have it. I know the brew enhancer isn't straight maltodextrin, but I'm unsure of the ratio. If the rest of it is corn sugar should I increase boil time of my hops or something to compensate for the extra fermentables? Sorry for all these noobish questions.