Frustration with comps - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Frustration with comps

Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

I just got back some score sheets and have become pretty disenchanted with the entire concept of comps.

How come I can make a batch of beer which scores a 30 at one comp, and a 45 at another?

How come my beer that scored a 24 at one comp and was absolutely thrashed for diacetyl gets no mention of diacetyl at another comp from any judges?

Why did my beer fermented with wlp 002 and mashed at 154 with an FG of 1.015 get marked off for being "too dry?" There is NO ****ING WAY that beer is dry.

How come my all-brett Belgian specialty ale is marked off for not enough brett character? Anyone who has ever made a 100% brett beer knows you get less brett character than using it as a secondary strain.

Sorry to rant but this **** is ridiculous. I've consistently run into huge score discrepancies and conflicting commentary which tells me some people have no idea what the **** they are doing. I mean this last one was the last straw. If you're going to **** all over my beer for "excessive diacetyl" then other judges should notice it too. I've entered a lot of comps and I know it can be hit or miss, but at this point I can't help but notice some pretty glaring problems.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8730 Times on 7014 Posts

Perhaps you should get BJCP certified and just judge your own beer?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Perhaps you should get BJCP certified and just judge your own beer?
There's an idea!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
There's an idea!
Believe me, I understand what you're saying though. I've had some extremely wide ranging scores from different comps with the same batch of beer that had me scratching my head.

I take the comments with a grain of salt and try to look for trends which can help improve my beer.

I think some judges try to hard to analyze unknowns (technique, etc.) and should just stick.to style guideline comments.

I'd rather hear "not enough body for style" than "mash higher" if I mashed at 158.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

I quit because of how bad many competitions are administered. I'm tired of the excuse "well you should try it then". It's not that I think I can do it better, it's that I think someone who says they will do it should do it better. Also, in my experience, it's uncanny how many organizers or club members end up placing.

The HBT comp was the best competition I've ever been a part of, twice. BRING IT BACK!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ

Just 'cuz your porter won.

I kid, I kid.

Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
manoaction

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Fort Collins, Colorado
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I work in fundraising and I've decided that comps are the same way. They're all educated bets. All the things that you do matter, but you're only playing one hand of the game. Enter enough of them to get enough medals to sate your insecurities, then go back to brewing for brewing sake. At least that's my plan.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
bobbrewedit

Recipes 

Sep 2012
, California
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

I just try to remember that when all is said and done, you are still just getting a few guys opinions...and those are like arse holes right? I actually put a lot more stock in the opinions if a few select drinking buddies than the judges...but if want the ribbons u gotta read their nonsense right?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
I work in fundraising and I've decided that comps are the same way. They're all educated bets. All the things that you do matter, but you're only playing one hand of the game. Enter enough of them to get enough medals to sate your insecurities, then go back to brewing for brewing sake. At least that's my plan.
I guess that's my problem, I had a good streak and then struck out at the last three that I entered, so I'm insecure once again. I'm going to start my own nano soon so bad scores scare me a little bit. I know that judges are only human, though.

I really think some of it is pallet fatigue. My in-your-face beers have fared a lot better than my more restrained ones. I've been brewing for a while and I don't think it's due to more perceivable off-flavors. I just like to keep things subtle and this last comp someone said of my mild "a very boring beer."

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I just got back some score sheets and have become pretty disenchanted with the entire concept of comps.

How come I can make a batch of beer which scores a 30 at one comp, and a 45 at another?
A quick look at dorksratebeer.com or beersnobs.com should clue you in.

People with the sort of palate needed to give an accurate assesment, much less in the format of a competition, are few and far between. So few, that they are all probably busy getting paid to taste things and aren't judging homebrew.