Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mad Elf Ale... any thoughts?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
yeoitsmatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

****UPDATE*****

I just racked it onto the cherries today and i took a gravity; it's 1.020... roughly 11.5% ABV.... Now the cherries i have are from a jar, 3 lbs sweet/ 2 lbs sour... i strained the juice out because i just wanted the cherries as is; Half sweet/ half sour. You can find anything you need at the Reading Terminal Market, (Phila. PA), it's the shizzz!!!

After tasting it, it already tastes pretty close to a mad elf.... It lacks the cherry flavor for sure but it totally meets it with the malts and honey. Big warm boozey flavor (obviously) but thats what makes mad elf so great... plus it is around 68*F... so far so good...

I think im going to give it a month on the cherries and then bottle... my new concern is i don't have another glass fermenter (carboy)... and it's currently in a plastic bucket.... i know that i could oxidize if left in plastic too long but it's a new bucket and i'm hoping it wont... worst case scenario i have to re reack to the carboy???? Idk if anyone has left a beer in plastic for more than 3 weeks, but i haven't had a bad experience... however the headspace is going to be about 1 gal...

Suggestions?? Thoughts??? Comments??? ADVICE????

Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think it will be fine. If it were a sour beer and sitting for a year I'd say to buy a carboy but its just a month so let it ride. Glad you posted an update. I love when people follow up. Keep us posted!!

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My guess would be you're going to get everything that you're going to get out of the cherries in two weeks. Just a guess

Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
yeoitsmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
My guess would be you're going to get everything that you're going to get out of the cherries in two weeks. Just a guess
Really? I mean that makes sense but it won't start producing weird off flavors would it?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
Really? I mean that makes sense but it won't start producing weird off flavors would it?
Well, I've read in a few places that the fruit extraction happens inside of 7 days - I think 10 days to two weeks is fine if you want to be sure I guess. I plan to leave mine for about 7-10 days and then I'll taste it.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #26
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

Yeoitsmatt: I think 2 weeks on the cherries will be fine. I don't think it'll need longer than that to extract the flavor.

I just checked in on my AG clone tonight. I'm at 1.022 and gonna give it another check this weekend.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #27
yeoitsmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to thank you guys for your posts and giving me your 2 cents (or whatever value you would like to put on them)....

For some reason the cherries i got from the Reading TermMkt smelled really weird when i opened the jars... i didn't even taste them; just tossed them.... I sprang for 3lbs of Dark Sweet Cherries (Frozen) from Pathmark... after thawing they certainly are sweet... i'm afraid that this might be too sweet!!! Not from a malts standpoint but like an "adjunct" sweetness... i've spent close to $120 making this brew so i don't want it to be terrible...

Lastly, I added 2 lbs of honey when i put this beast in the fermenter and wondering if my OG should have been higher than 1.110 (which did not include those 2lbs)... i have a strong feeling that it is... After drinking the tested wort after a (hydro)reading i was feeling it... thoughts?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #28
yeoitsmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and i have reconsidered the time on the cherries; i'm thinking i'm going to bottle in about 2 - 3 weeks...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #29
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

Just bottled my mad elf today. Finished low, as I had hoped, at 1.014. Cherries added a nice red color and flavor. Need to let it carb up and I'll have a taste test vs the real thing on christmas eve - Think this one will be very close to the original. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 128

My only thought is it's too strong. It's very difficult to make strong beer taste really good.

I avoid strong beer. Strong beer is too confusing for me. I like wine and liquor but I want by beers under 9% ABV and preferably under 5%.

I have some bottles of Victory Golden Monkey lying around because they're too strong and the taste, though quite decent, is not worth the ABV.

There are few brews that can do high ABV and taste excellent. Like Chimay. (Sorry, I have good dreams of Chimay red)