Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Just wondering...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Just wondering...

As anybody ever used concentrated o.j to back sweeten wine before? I would like to know if it turned out the way they planned or it turned their wine to sewer water...

Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #2

Seems like it would start the clearing process all over again. I've never done it but that was my first though.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I once used "pulp free" and had to use SuperKleer or Isinglass because the OJ concentrate clouded the wine & it would not clear.
I will not do this again and in the future will either:

1. Freeze prepared, ready to drink, OJ in a cylinder shape and allow it to drip thaw while resting in a large screened funnel--use the concentrated juice to backsweeten, have to monitor because you want to leave a hunk of ice behind. But I still suspect this will cloud the wine.

2. Make a simple syrup loaded with orange peel (no pith). Actually have 2 quart jars in my refrigerator that are filled with this simple syrup and candied peels. I cut the peel into narrow strips and placed them in the sugar + water as I am making the simple syrup, actually added 1 cup more water than normal but allowed the mixture to barely simmer on stove until that additional cup had evaporated. The result, an intensely citrus flavored simple syrup. I use the strips in baking, in beverages for all ages and have even dried some for snacking on.
Motto: quel che sara sara