Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > South East Brewery Tour...suggestions??
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default South East Brewery Tour...suggestions??

Hi All,

Planning a brewery tour with a few buddies, one fellow HBer, starting in the DC area. We want to head down South (mostly East), so far we have a few places in North Carolina to go to, but we are down to go to any of the states around there if is a something good. We only have a few so far, and none of them are definite, but here is what we have so far:

Aviator Brewing (NC)
Your Gnometown Brewery (NC)
Mother Earl Brewing (NC)
Piscah Brewing (NC)

Any suggestions? Or advice?

NC, VA, WV, TN, KY, SC, etc are all feasible options!

Primary: Snake Dog Clone, Belgian Chamomile Pale,
Secondary: Oaky Hard Cider, Saison
Bottled and waiting on:
Drinking:, Gingerbread Porter, Nutbrown Variety (Chocoalte, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Bourbon, Coffee, regualr), ESB, Bourbon Porter, Honey Wheat IPA, Meyer Witbier, Galaxy SMaSH
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I've never been on a brewery tour except for Anheuser-Busch, so I don't know if the brewery tours are any good, but I think the following breweries in SC/NC have really nice beers: (Mt. Pleasant, SC) (Spartanburg, SC) (Asheville, NC)

Have fun!

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

In Richmond, VA: Hardywood has some great barrel-aged beers
In Asheville, NC: The Wedge brewery--every one of the 7 beers I tried there was absolutely FANTASTIC!
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You need to go to Asheville if you're hitting NC. It's quickly becoming the beer capital of the east coast. Also, if your heading into Georgia I highly recommend Terrapin (in Athens GA) and/or Sweetwater (in Atlanta)
Whippy Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Liked 448 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Skip WV entirely it is a craft beer wasteland.

Westbrook and coast in Charleston SC

Look into skullcoast brewing. I'm not sure what there deal is, they distributed kegs and were supposed to be opening a large facility. They make in your face American style beers, quite good.

Near Charlottesville VA there are a bunch of breweries. Wild wolf, blue mountain, devils backbone. None were great but I like some of wild wolfs beers.