National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > MA apple juice providers?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
dcrookston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default MA apple juice providers?

I live in Boston and I've been getting my juice from these guys: http://www.carlsonorchards.com/

I haven't had a lot of success despite my best efforts, so in the tradition of lazy bastards everywhere I'm blaming my juice source rather than my own process

Has anyone had experience with these guys? Does anyone know of a good apple juice provider in MA (or the general northeast) that makes juice primarily from bittersweet or even bittersharp apples?

If this thread is successful, maybe we should make another "List your favorite regional providers" thread to be used as a future reference.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are right in the middle of apple heaven. http://massnrc.org/farmlocator/map.a...Product=Apples

Right next door... http://www.pickyourown.org/NH.htm

Can you be more specific about not having much success? Are you buying juice (pasteurized) or cider (raw pressed)?

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
dcrookston
Recipes 

I'm buying raw pressed cider. Carlson Orchards is fine, the juice is delicious for drinking straight, but it doesn't make the best cider ever. I just spoke to them on the phone and they specifically said that they don't provide (and have no intention of providing) any cider made from specific varieties of apples.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
hellpatrol
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

there are a bunch of orchards in CT that send their apples to carlson to be pressed. apparently cheaper to do that than buying equipment that's up to the health standards

Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I just started my second batch using unpasteurized cider from Lull Farm in Hollis, NH (right over the border). I grew up around there, the cider is awesome. I've heard rumors that it's illegal to get unpasteurized cider in MA, but who knows. If you call ahead, they'll fill your carboy right from their press and give you a discount. Right now he has an excess of cider since he pressed too much last weekend, and he told me he has to toss it soon so he'll happily sell it to any homebrewers for a great price. I measured a 1.054 SG.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Tu13es
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I just started my second batch using unpasteurized cider from Lull Farm in Hollis, NH (right over the border). I grew up around there, the cider is awesome. I've heard rumors that it's illegal to get unpasteurized cider in MA, but who knows. If you call ahead, they'll fill your carboy right from their press and give you a discount. Right now he has an excess of cider since he pressed too much last weekend, and he told me he has to toss it soon so he'll happily sell it to any homebrewers for a great price. I measured a 1.054 SG.
Interesting. I'm in the area. Is there someone specific I should ask for?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can get unpasteurized cider in MA. You'll only see it around the picking season tho. I've even seen unpasteurized Carlson juice up in Hollis when I was looking around. I live the next town over from Carlson and I've used juice from their store and the cider turns out great. My LHBS use to get their fruit from Sholan and get it pressed at Carlson. That orchard has some old varieties. You may want to call them to see if you can get the apples and press them yourself.

EDIT: I'd also look at popular cider producers like Farnum Hills. You go to their site and they have an orchard where you can buy cider variety apples. Lebanon, NH is a little haul from Somerville.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A bit farther away, but we have AWESOME cider here in SE CT. Its a bit of a hike for you guys though. Holmberg Orchards in Gales Ferry CT (just 3 min from Mohegan Sun). My first batch is increadibly aromatic coming off the gross lees this week.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu13es View Post
Interesting. I'm in the area. Is there someone specific I should ask for?
Dave is the owner. He's a funny guy, he became somewhat of a local celebrity a few years back when he was caught growing pot on his back porch. It ended up being tossed because it was an illegal search, but tons of people put bumper stickers on their car to support him. If you've never been to Hollis, it's a fairly yuppie area, but there are a few farms that put out some awesome stuff. A lot of his stuff is pricey because people there are willing to pay for it, but it's really good. If you have a family have them go with you, there are some farm animals in the back they can pet, there's apple/pumpkin picking, etc.

Anyway, if you want to get in on the cheap stuff I'd call today or tomorrow and ask him what's left. Otherwise like I said, if you give him advance notice he'll fill your carboy right off the press. He normally sells it in jugs for $7/gallon, right off the press is $5/gallon, and the leftover stuff from last weekend might be cheaper. He says lots of people just let it ferment naturally and they've had great results, I know I've had that happen right in my fridge and it was pretty tasty.

TheDudeLebowski:
I grew up in Nashua NH, but I've spent the last few years around Boston. Lived in Somerville for 3 years but just moved to Waltham this summer to be closer to work. I miss Somerville, especially Ball Square Fine Wines. You ever go there? Awesome beer/cider/wine selection, they have tastings all the time and their beer manager Nate is super helpful.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Tu13es
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Dave is the owner. He's a funny guy, he became somewhat of a local celebrity a few years back when he was caught growing pot on his back porch. It ended up being tossed because it was an illegal search, but tons of people put bumper stickers on their car to support him. If you've never been to Hollis, it's a fairly yuppie area, but there are a few farms that put out some awesome stuff. A lot of his stuff is pricey because people there are willing to pay for it, but it's really good. If you have a family have them go with you, there are some farm animals in the back they can pet, there's apple/pumpkin picking, etc.

Anyway, if you want to get in on the cheap stuff I'd call today or tomorrow and ask him what's left. Otherwise like I said, if you give him advance notice he'll fill your carboy right off the press. He normally sells it in jugs for $7/gallon, right off the press is $5/gallon, and the leftover stuff from last weekend might be cheaper. He says lots of people just let it ferment naturally and they've had great results, I know I've had that happen right in my fridge and it was pretty tasty.

TheDudeLebowski:
I grew up in Nashua NH, but I've spent the last few years around Boston. Lived in Somerville for 3 years but just moved to Waltham this summer to be closer to work. I miss Somerville, especially Ball Square Fine Wines. You ever go there? Awesome beer/cider/wine selection, they have tastings all the time and their beer manager Nate is super helpful.
Very cool, will do. I'm finishing up my first batch of cider from stuff I bought at Mack's Apples, but it wasn't pressed locally or using their own apples. Definitely going to try some from Lull Farm.