National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 310 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I just got a pound of this delivered today. I was ordering centennial and tossed in a pound of Belma to help justify the $10 shipping charge. I'm making a two-hearted clone with the centennial but plan to make a similar recipe with amarillo, cascade and belma to compare.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #52
HawksBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
plan to make a similar recipe with amarillo, cascade and belma to compare.
That looks like a winning combination to me.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #53
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After getting sucked in by how hops direct marketed their "Calypso" hops about this time last year (damn that was a really weak hop) I'm a bit skeptical of their new hop varieties, or at least their marketing pitches. Bit disappointed from everyone's descriptions, as I was hoping these would be a bit stronger, although I'll probably still grab a pound of them soon. I want to try them in a really super aggressively hopped American Red blended with equal parts Ahatnum and either Amarillo, Columbus, or Summit (pending I can find Summit that haven't been visited by the onion fairy).

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #54
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustovsky View Post
After getting sucked in by how hops direct marketed their "Calypso" hops about this time last year (damn that was a really weak hop) I'm a bit skeptical of their new hop varieties, or at least their marketing pitches. Bit disappointed from everyone's descriptions, as I was hoping these would be a bit stronger, although I'll probably still grab a pound of them soon. I want to try them in a really super aggressively hopped American Red blended with equal parts Ahatnum and either Amarillo, Columbus, or Summit (pending I can find Summit that haven't been visited by the onion fairy).
If nothing else, even if the character is too weak for your tates, they are high alpha. I'm sure you could put them to good use.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #55
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm thinking of a simple pale... Comet to FWH, Chinook, Cascade and Belma... Call it, "Report Card Pale Ale".. 3 C's and a B.

I think the fruity notes from Comet, and Cascade will play well with the spicy Chinook, and the Belma has traits of them all, but "supposedly" more fruit notes.

8 # 2 Row
1# Munich
.5# Victory
.5# C20
.5# C40

FWH the Comet at around 1oz.

Fire in the Chinook @ 15, Cascade @ 10, Belma @ 5, and then Belma and Cascade at flameout.

Dry hop with whichever ones make you want, an ounce of each, 2 oz total.
swstim Likes This 
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #56
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I got 2lbs in the mail today. It's a very nice hop. Tropical and a little funky/grungy. I get a little citrus, but mostly like over ripe pineapple with some 'funk' to it. And I mean that in a good way.

It's not quite as oily as Citra, but sh**, few hops are. Definitely looking forward to using it.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #57
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have two pounds of pellets coming my way. I think I'll order a pound of whole tomorrow with my Citra/Amarillo order. I plan on doing an all Belma Pale Ale and turning filter into a "Randall" with some Belma leaf.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #58
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
If nothing else, even if the character is too weak for your tates, they are high alpha. I'm sure you could put them to good use.
You are right. The price per alpha is really good on this hop. Worth trying for flavor/aroma, and if you don't like it, you can just use it as a bittering hop.

I bought some Bravo hops from Hops Direct many years ago (first place I ever heard of it). I really wanted it to be the next Simcoe or Citra, but, it did just fine for bittering at 17+%.

Let's be honest. If this was the next Simcoe or Citra, Putterbaugh would not be the only ones with it and they would not be selling it for $5/lb.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #59
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I packaged my #1 of leaf last night into smaller vac sealed packages.. I rubbed some and smelled it. I get a bit of earthy citrus in there, a little melon notes, very soft smelling. Didn't really get the strawberry, but it's all in what you imagine I think.

Smelled good though, and will look to use it in my next pale perhaps.. Planned to be most cascade and citra, but might say to hell with it and toss in some belma.

I got some pellets coming with my other orders since it was so cheap and worth trying, atleast for the high AA to bitter. Might end up being a nice hop to layer with,

Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #60
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I can see what they meant by tropical strawberry and spice. Belma smells like strawberry-pineapple bubblegum with a hint of funky spice complexity, whereas Citra is similar but wayyyyyyyy more tropical, oily, and fruity. If you wanted to balance things out, I'd go with a dank hop like Apollo/Columbus, and/or Cascade for added floral citrus.