Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #461
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,816
Liked 764 Times on 558 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerelated View Post
What do you taste in those beers with Belma? Do you taste diacetyl?
More strangeness there. The worst offender was the Belma Amber Ale. I bottled a six from a keg a couple of months ago for the competion after rushing the carbonation. (No shaking, just bumped the pressure for a day or so.) I have been serving from the keg with no reports of diacetyl. Last night I opened one of those original bottles. Yup, it's a D bomb, but the keg is fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerelated View Post
I haven't noticed any diacetyl like flavors in any beers that I have made with Belma . . .
Yeah. I'm just frustrated and grasping at straws. I'll have to place the blame on something in my process. I fermented on the cool side and all of these beers were cold crashed. I normally only D-rest before crashing for specific yeast strains that I feel need it. From now on, I'll add a D-rest before crashing, regardless of the strain.

Since nobody else has had the diacetyl problem, Belma's off the hook. Thanks for the replys.


__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!
AnOldUR is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #462
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,617
Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Hate to hear about the diacetly issues. I have used Belma a bit, and haven't found any of it, and I'm pretty sensetive to it.


__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery
FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #463
one-L
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 323
Liked 86 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Agreed on Belma not being the case if you're getting the classic strong movie butter popcorn kind of flavor. Maybe they caught a bug at bottling? Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Zymurgy has a good article about beer spoilage organisms and notes that some strains of pedio can cause big diacetyl flavors. How are you bottling out of keg? I have yet to work out a good method for this. I will typically just drop pressure on keg and fill straight from tap if I am filling a growler, and I have done bottles this way also with ok results, but I just got a good look at my tap the other day and its due for a serious breakdown and cleaning, so probably time to throw together a Biermuncher ugly junk bottle filler.
one-L is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #464
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,617
Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-L View Post
Agreed on Belma not being the case if you're getting the classic strong movie butter popcorn kind of flavor. Maybe they caught a bug at bottling? Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Zymurgy has a good article about beer spoilage organisms and notes that some strains of pedio can cause big diacetyl flavors. How are you bottling out of keg? I have yet to work out a good method for this. I will typically just drop pressure on keg and fill straight from tap if I am filling a growler, and I have done bottles this way also with ok results, but I just got a good look at my tap the other day and its due for a serious breakdown and cleaning, so probably time to throw together a Biermuncher ugly junk bottle filler.
I fill from a cobra tap. 5 ft lines, a cut off siphon tube inside the cobra tap end. I drop the pressure on the keg to 5-7 psi, and fill it, making sure I don't throttle the tap at all to foam. Fills growlers and bottles easy. Normally I fill growlers like that from the bottom, and cap on foam. I've had them keep in the growlers for over 2 weeks even. Forgot I took one to someones house, drank 2/3 of it, and had 1/3 left, and opened it. It was still carbed and good. YMMV.

Anyways- Topic wise.. Has anyone dry hopped a Saison with Belma?

I added like an ounce late in the boil, with some Nelson Sauvin in a nice simple saison. Figured the berry note would go well with the sweet berry note of the golden naked oats in there. Decided to dry hop it with some Belma leaf for a week, been in there for 3 days now.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery
FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #465
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,623
Liked 2246 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Default

I've dry hopped three saisons with Belma. The first two were a split 10 gallon batch, only difference being the dry hop - one all belma and the other bema/saaz/strisselspalt. I like the 2nd one better, not that either is bad.

The third is a stronger saison with an oz belma at 60, oz nelson at 0 and oz citra, 1/2oz nelson, 1/2 oz belma dry hop. Nice beer. I prefer belma in a combo and if it were mine, I'd probably toss some more nelson in there, but maybe just your late nelson will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post

Anyways- Topic wise.. Has anyone dry hopped a Saison with Belma?

I added like an ounce late in the boil, with some Nelson Sauvin in a nice simple saison. Figured the berry note would go well with the sweet berry note of the golden naked oats in there. Decided to dry hop it with some Belma leaf for a week, been in there for 3 days now.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #466
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eulipion2's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hawley, PA
Posts: 1,555
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I posted in the Recipes section about a Belma session saison, but no responses so far, but I'm looking to do a 3.4% ABV saison with Belma and Strisselspalt. I used Strisselspalt for a similar recipe last year with Styrian Goldings, but I recently read that it can have a black currant flavor (never noticed before) which would (hopefully) pair well with Belma.

Anyone tried Belma with Strisselspalt?

EDIT: Sorry TNGABE, I really need to pay better attention. Belma and Strisselspalt work nice together with Saaz, but have you tried them without the Saaz?
__________________

Primary:

Kegged: Belma Session IPA; Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Reason: really not paying attention.
eulipion2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #467
AgentHubcap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 490
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Anyone see a difference between leaf and pellet? The pellets have a lower AA % (not sure if this is normal, I normally only use leaf hops)
AgentHubcap is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #468
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kpr121's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,115
Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

I don’t see a difference in this variety specifically (I only bought leaf), but its fairly common for leaf/pellet to have different AA%. Sometimes they are taken from different parts of the field, different farms, different processors, etc.
__________________
Ferm Chamber on top of Keezer / Through Wall / All in One Build


Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA
kpr121 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #469
brewerelated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
Posts: 153
Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
Anyone see a difference between leaf and pellet? The pellets have a lower AA % (not sure if this is normal, I normally only use leaf hops)
I don't work on a hop farm so I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I have read that sometimes older leaf hops will get converted to pellet hops. Especially if the supplier sees that the pellet hops are in higher demand. As the hops age they lose alpha acids. Therefore this might explain why some pellet hops might have lower AA than some leaf hops of the same variety. I am not saying that this is in fact what is happening in this case, but it could apply to some cases.
brewerelated is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #470
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,623
Liked 2246 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerelated View Post
I don't work on a hop farm so I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I have read that sometimes older leaf hops will get converted to pellet hops. Especially if the supplier sees that the pellet hops are in higher demand. As the hops age they lose alpha acids. Therefore this might explain why some pellet hops might have lower AA than some leaf hops of the same variety. I am not saying that this is in fact what is happening in this case, but it could apply to some cases.
As this is the first year this hop was harvested, probably not the case here.


__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Lakes Hops, or High Hops for ordering hop crowns odinsgift Hops Growing 24 10-13-2013 08:00 PM
New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms theveganbrewer Recipes/Ingredients 209 06-02-2013 04:48 AM
Centennial hops vs. Amarillo hops....huge DIPA difference GolgiApparatus Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 03-12-2013 12:40 PM
Ye Olde Hops Sale - older crop hops Nikobrew Sponsor Showcase 1 04-05-2012 12:33 AM
Hops growers report. How far along are your hops? Pics, 1st time grower. Mr Bigins Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 08-17-2006 11:29 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS