Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #381
Gear101

Recipes 

Nov 2010
USA
Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts

Ok with summer a couple months away, what about a Belma Hefeweizen? Off to my LHBS today to get supplies and what nots, thinking out with the stouts in with summer beers.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #382
shoreman
Recipes 

Feb 2012
, ma
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101
Ok with summer a couple months away, what about a Belma Hefeweizen? Off to my LHBS today to get supplies and what nots, thinking out with the stouts in with summer beers.
I think it would work well and in wit biers - especially the creaminess of the hop with oats in the bill

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #383
Gear101

Recipes 

Nov 2010
USA
Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
I think it would work well and in wit biers - especially the creaminess of the hop with oats in the bill
All I have to do is come up with a bill and hop offering now. Plus make the starter this morning. LOL
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #384
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 950 Times on 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
personally i like my hefs fresh, so i'm holding off on those for now. if i have time in my schedule i'll do a belgian blond or belgian pale - also nice summer sippers that don't mind a little aging.
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #385
tomthacher
Recipes 

Jan 2013
rogue river, or

belma hops give your ale a fruity aroma and plesant mouth I brewed a smash to get pointed results and that is what I got

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #386
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Ok, so I just cracked my first carbonated Belma/2-row SMaSH IPA. Belma is quite underwhelming on it's own. I want to brew it again, but with Conan like I read on a blog (I believe it was linked somewhere in this thread). The aroma was solid, but not intense. Pineapple and strawberry mostly. It has a smooth bitterness due to all late hops. Flavor is where I think this hop really falls flat. Even with hop bursting and a 2 oz dry hop charge there wasn't much hop flavor to speak of. Definitely not going to use this on its own again. I can see it playing well with other fruity hops like Citra, Nelson, Motueka and Calypso. I can also see it marrying nicely as a balancing hop for your piney/floral type hops.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

bgeek Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #387
FATC1TY

Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Ok, so I just cracked my first carbonated Belma/2-row SMaSH IPA. Belma is quite underwhelming on it's own. I want to brew it again, but with Conan like I read on a blog (I believe it was linked somewhere in this thread). The aroma was solid, but not intense. Pineapple and strawberry mostly. It has a smooth bitterness due to all late hops. Flavor is where I think this hop really falls flat. Even with hop bursting and a 2 oz dry hop charge there wasn't much hop flavor to speak of. Definitely not going to use this on its own again. I can see it playing well with other fruity hops like Citra, Nelson, Motueka and Calypso. I can also see it marrying nicely as a balancing hop for your piney/floral type hops.
I think from the people weighing in, this is pretty much the consensus. It needs a partner.

I absolutely love it with Galaxy and Cascade tossed in there. Love the berry and pineapple notes I get with the passionfruit and light citrus notes from the other hops.. I could bathe in this beer and still drink it!!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #388
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Liked 1049 Times on 730 Posts

I made 7 gallons. I first wort hopped, bitter'ed and flavored all with BELMA. After reading this thread, I decided to split off one gallon as a straight Belma SMaSH, one gallon dry hooped with Centennial, and 5 gallons dry hopped with Belma, Casade, and Citra. I kegged the 5 gallons (and I will bottle the 2 one gallon batches). I 5 gallon batch is very good. Lots of citrus and fruit flavors. I can necessarily pick out water melon or pineapple, but perhaps they are the fruit flavor. My neighbor likes the brew, and claims he tastes mainly the citra.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #389
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2511 Times on 1769 Posts

Well as an update on my experience. My stupid Pale Ale which for some odd reason only bittered and had no aroma or flavor hops left. I put 2 oz Belma in for a dry hop and 4 days later.... nothing. I am very underwhelmed. Will play around more with Belma/random hop remenants next.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #390
eastoak
Recipes 

Jan 2011
oakland, california
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts

belma, zythos and caliente were all very much underwhelming hops for me.