Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #381
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Ok with summer a couple months away, what about a Belma Hefeweizen? Off to my LHBS today to get supplies and what nots, thinking out with the stouts in with summer beers.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #382
shoreman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101
Ok with summer a couple months away, what about a Belma Hefeweizen? Off to my LHBS today to get supplies and what nots, thinking out with the stouts in with summer beers.
I think it would work well and in wit biers - especially the creaminess of the hop with oats in the bill

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #383
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
I think it would work well and in wit biers - especially the creaminess of the hop with oats in the bill
All I have to do is come up with a bill and hop offering now. Plus make the starter this morning. LOL
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #384
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
personally i like my hefs fresh, so i'm holding off on those for now. if i have time in my schedule i'll do a belgian blond or belgian pale - also nice summer sippers that don't mind a little aging.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #385
tomthacher
Recipes 

belma hops give your ale a fruity aroma and plesant mouth I brewed a smash to get pointed results and that is what I got

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #386
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

Ok, so I just cracked my first carbonated Belma/2-row SMaSH IPA. Belma is quite underwhelming on it's own. I want to brew it again, but with Conan like I read on a blog (I believe it was linked somewhere in this thread). The aroma was solid, but not intense. Pineapple and strawberry mostly. It has a smooth bitterness due to all late hops. Flavor is where I think this hop really falls flat. Even with hop bursting and a 2 oz dry hop charge there wasn't much hop flavor to speak of. Definitely not going to use this on its own again. I can see it playing well with other fruity hops like Citra, Nelson, Motueka and Calypso. I can also see it marrying nicely as a balancing hop for your piney/floral type hops.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter
bgeek Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #387
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Ok, so I just cracked my first carbonated Belma/2-row SMaSH IPA. Belma is quite underwhelming on it's own. I want to brew it again, but with Conan like I read on a blog (I believe it was linked somewhere in this thread). The aroma was solid, but not intense. Pineapple and strawberry mostly. It has a smooth bitterness due to all late hops. Flavor is where I think this hop really falls flat. Even with hop bursting and a 2 oz dry hop charge there wasn't much hop flavor to speak of. Definitely not going to use this on its own again. I can see it playing well with other fruity hops like Citra, Nelson, Motueka and Calypso. I can also see it marrying nicely as a balancing hop for your piney/floral type hops.
I think from the people weighing in, this is pretty much the consensus. It needs a partner.

I absolutely love it with Galaxy and Cascade tossed in there. Love the berry and pineapple notes I get with the passionfruit and light citrus notes from the other hops.. I could bathe in this beer and still drink it!!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #388
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1569

I made 7 gallons. I first wort hopped, bitter'ed and flavored all with BELMA. After reading this thread, I decided to split off one gallon as a straight Belma SMaSH, one gallon dry hooped with Centennial, and 5 gallons dry hopped with Belma, Casade, and Citra. I kegged the 5 gallons (and I will bottle the 2 one gallon batches). I 5 gallon batch is very good. Lots of citrus and fruit flavors. I can necessarily pick out water melon or pineapple, but perhaps they are the fruit flavor. My neighbor likes the brew, and claims he tastes mainly the citra.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #389
DrunkleJon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2043 Times on 1445 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Well as an update on my experience. My stupid Pale Ale which for some odd reason only bittered and had no aroma or flavor hops left. I put 2 oz Belma in for a dry hop and 4 days later.... nothing. I am very underwhelmed. Will play around more with Belma/random hop remenants next.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #390
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

belma, zythos and caliente were all very much underwhelming hops for me.