Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #151
chutracheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourSeasonAngler View Post
The Z.D. recipe might let the hops come through well, even give it a chance to show it's "sweeter" side since 1968 finishes sweet.

I would add more Belma through the 15/10/5/1 additions though, maybe bump it to 1.5 or 2 oz even, I have found that Belma is on the soft side of the aroma/flavor spectrum compared to Citra.
Thanks

Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #152
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Has anyone dry hopped yet?

I have a Belma Pale ale that tasted pretty nice right out of the fermenter, but not a ton of citrus IMHO. It was more of a pungent, earthy kind of flavor.

Then I dryhopped with 1.5oz of Belma in the keg, and today, I'm wondering if I'll be able to even drink the rest of the beer.

Just one person's anectdotal experience. I think I'll use mine for bittering mostly, and keep it to the boil exclusively. I just don't enjoy it's dryhop flavor AT ALL.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #153
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Has anyone dry hopped yet?

I have a Belma Pale ale that tasted pretty nice right out of the fermenter, but not a ton of citrus IMHO. It was more of a pungent, earthy kind of flavor.

Then I dryhopped with 1.5oz of Belma in the keg, and today, I'm wondering if I'll be able to even drink the rest of the beer.

Just one person's anectdotal experience. I think I'll use mine for bittering mostly, and keep it to the boil exclusively. I just don't enjoy it's dryhop flavor AT ALL.
how would you describe the undesirable dry hop flavor?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #154
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
how would you describe the undesirable dry hop flavor?
LOL...I though alot about this when I was thinking I'd post my findings up on this thread....and I couldn't come up with anything better then:

Just not right.

I'll taste it again today when I get home from work and try to give you something a bit more tangible then that.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #155
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Thanks for the warning. I was planning to dryhop with 1.5oz just as you did. I will wait & watch...

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #156
jammin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I dry hopped with 4ozs and its fine. I think it's better suited for heavy dry hopping. The flavors are mild so extra duty helps out.

Edit:
Drink'n on a bomber of my Belma Zombie Dust clone. I'm getting an earthy, slightly fruity Centennial. That's promising imho.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	84702  

Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #157
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I had my all Belma Pale Ale(along with IPA and IRA) on tap for Sunday NFL/Homebrewers tasting afternoon. Nearly everyone who tried it said it was "different" or "odd" and tasted like strawberries and/or melon. No one disliked it, but not many refills on that one. The brewers who are into Belgians, thought it would work well in fruity, estery Belgian brews.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #158
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I dry hopped with 4ozs and its fine. I think it's better suited for heavy dry hopping. The flavors are mild so extra duty helps out.
I've got a Belma/Simcoe IPA fermenting. All additions are 2:1 Belma:Simcoe. I was planning to dry hop with 3 oz Belma and 1.5 oz Simcoe. Will it be enough?
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #159
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz
I had my all Belma Pale Ale(along with IPA and IRA) on tap for Sunday NFL/Homebrewers tasting afternoon. Nearly everyone who tried it said it was "different" or "odd" and tasted like strawberries and/or melon. No one disliked it, but not many refills on that one. The brewers who are into Belgians, thought it would work well in fruity, estery Belgian brews.
I have had similar reviews of my all belma amber ale. Strong berry nose and a mild berry/citrus flavor with a hint of spice. Tomorrow is brew club so I will have a few more experienced brewers tasting it then. I also handed out 12 at work to random guys interested in craft beer. Should have those opinions on Monday or so. Ultimately I like it but feel it isn't a good stand alone hop. I just need to find that great pairing.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #160
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post

Edit:
Drink'n on a bomber of my Belma Zombie Dust clone. I'm getting an earthy, slightly fruity Centennial. That's promising imho.
That's a gorgeous beer. I'm getting grassy from Belma (for the poster who asked me what was unpleasant about my dryhop with Belma). Way more grass then fruit tbh. It's been 5 days now and I'm going to pull the dryhops from the keg after turkey day..we'll see.

I think it's going to mellow in time, and I have to say, since I last posted, it's definitely improved....but I'm still not going to dry hop with this one, though at this point, I do wish I'd have used 3oz given your suggestion of heavy dryhopping. It's still going to be a tough sell of the 5 beers I currently have on tap. It was great before the dryhop, but now I'm just hoping for the best.