Force Carb and Bottling - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Force Carb and Bottling

Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Though I think I already know the answer to this question I will ask it anyways. Ive got the equipment for kegging other than a refridgerator to utilize it for. So right now I have a batch fermenting in a cornie, what I'd like to do is put the co2 on it and bottle from there with my bottling gun. Question is do I still prime with the priming sugar ? Im assuming not but want to make sure as it is my first time going down this road, better safe than sorry !!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Soldevi
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Everett, WA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

No need to prime the bottles if you are force carbing the keg with your CO2 canister.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
manoaction
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Fort Collins, Colorado
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Have you already racked off your yeast cake? I would assume your dip tube would be hopelessly buried under sludge if you're using the same vessel for primary and carbonation.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Did you primary in the corny or rack to it after fermentation was finished?

IF you don't have a yeast cake in there, you could carbonate with CO2 (use this chart to figure out the pressure at temperature) and then fill bottles with the bottling/beer gun.

I keg all my brew these days. I do bottle some of what's on tap via either a beer gun, or other fitting. Since I transfer off the yeast cake into serving kegs, this presents no issue. IF you actually fermented (fully) in the corny keg, then you'll either need to transfer to a fresh keg, or cut your dip tube down so that you don't get a bottle full of yeast/sediment/trub.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
Have you already racked off your yeast cake? I would assume your dip tube would be hopelessly buried under sludge if you're using the same vessel for primary and carbonation.
Yes I did rack off the yeast cake.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Did you primary in the corny or rack to it after fermentation was finished?

IF you don't have a yeast cake in there, you could carbonate with CO2 (use this chart to figure out the pressure at temperature) and then fill bottles with the bottling/beer gun.

I keg all my brew these days. I do bottle some of what's on tap via either a beer gun, or other fitting. Since I transfer off the yeast cake into serving kegs, this presents no issue. IF you actually fermented (fully) in the corny keg, then you'll either need to transfer to a fresh keg, or cut your dip tube down so that you don't get a bottle full of yeast/sediment/trub.
I racked off of yeast into corny.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Hamlin, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
Yes I racked off of the yeast cake.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
I racked off of yeast into corny.
Then just carbonate it via CO2 and bottle it up when it's ready.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
manoaction
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Fort Collins, Colorado
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Bottling warm carbonated beer is all but impossible though- it foams like a SOB.

As usual, she's right. I forgot about that part.

You're only 50 bucks and a few cubic feet away from salvation on this point. A fridge or a keezer is just more or less necessary for the kegging setup.