Friggin Server 2008 Login script aren't working!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This should be one of the easiest things to do. I made a .bat file with NET USE commands to map a couple of drives. Placed the file in the NETLOGON folder on the DC and placed the name of the file in the user profile.

NOTHING.

I can browse right to the file and run it. Drives map. They just won't map during the startup process.

WTF?

Directories are shared. User has rights. File maps as it should.

What am I missing that is keeping this thing from mapping on start up?

The only thing I could think of was if the script was running before an IP is obtained. I don't have any solutions for that as it is only a SWAG and my programming experience is pretty minimal. But it was the only thought I had.

Not sure if it possible but if you put in a check to see if a network connection is established first, it would rule it out as a possibility.

The only thing I could think of was if the script was running before an IP is obtained. I don't have any solutions for that as it is only a SWAG and my programming experience is pretty minimal. But it was the only thought I had.

Not sure if it possible but if you put in a check to see if a network connection is established first, it would rule it out as a possibility.

So I ended up just calling the consultant company to talk with their person and get it going.

I don't know. He didn't find anything "wrong" but it was still not mapping drives. I just decided to go with GPO scripts instead. It's the latest thing from what I hear. I know they work because I've already set a few up like that. The ADUC script seemed like a much simpler method, but apparently it's a less stable method and not nearly as flexible. Since almost every machine in the building is 2000 or better, the GPO scripting will work fine. For the couple of 95/98/NT machines I can do a manual map. They are the computers built into the CNC equipment and don't need a full mapping anyway.

I never had problem like this with Netware. Too bad it isn't a well supported NOS anymore.

Tomorrow I'll start setting up scripts and moving data. Now I gotta run and get my kid to dance and "maybe" have time to stop at Crankers for one of their new beers.

Always sucks having to use the napalm and start from scratch.

(BTW hope I didn't sound too idiotic with my suggestion. I was hoping someone would jump in and say how terrible my idea was and how to really get things going, cause I was in way over my head.) <insert sheepish grin here>

No actually the tech turned on a Premade GPO to not run the ADUC script until the network was established, so pretty much the same idea. It didn't work, so I just threw in the towel and decided to just go with GPOs and spend a little more time setting them up and saving the hassle of troubleshooting the problem with ADUC. I planned to change to GPO scripting in the future after I had a chance to really read up on it. That sht looks a bit complicated. But worth learning from what I hear.

I seem to remember a friend of mine said he was quite good at Group Policy management. I should ask him if he knows of any good books I could buy...

Have you got it working?

In our environment, the login script is placed in the following directory on our Domain Controller

C:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\"your domain"\scripts\logon.bat

and then the script name is placed in the user's account properties, under the profiles tab. Just the script name...no path or UNC.

Mike

have you got it working?

In our environment, the login script is placed in the following directory on our domain controller

c:\windows\sysvol\sysvol\"your domain"\scripts\logon.bat

and then the script name is placed in the user's account properties, under the profiles tab. Just the script name...no path or unc.

Mike

+1

Back