Kegging or bottling?!? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging or bottling?!?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
HopLife
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Eugene, OR
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I started out bottling, but I prefer kegging because it is less work and I can control my carbonation level more easily.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
stamford, ct
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

I now shoot for 6 gal fermenting, so I can throw a few bottles in the cellar and get five gals in the keg.

Fermenting: Air
Kegged: Czeck Pils Lager, Bohemian Pilsner Ale

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
TrubDog

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Cle Elum, WA
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

keg. Done!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

Bottle the first batch.
You'll love the keg after that.

Beside, with a full kegerator you will never be short on friends that want to hang out.

Speaking of kegerator, the logistics of keeping a supply of cold beer is easier with bottles.

I just invested in a chest freezer and most of the stuff to complete the conversion for my bar.
I'll be good for five beers on tap.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Liked 1148 Times on 781 Posts

I mostly bottle, but I do have a tap.

Everyone makes it seem that bottling is so difficult. I do not find that to be the case. I usually bottle while my grains are mashing. I can bottle a batch before the mash is done. easy.

I like variety and usually have about 15 different brews around. with 6-8 different ones in my fridge. I also do a lot of Belgians so I have many bottles of them just sitting in the basement aging.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

It's not that bottling is hard to do, it's just time consuming and the bottles take up a lot of space while you are waiting to use them. Mostly it's the time thing for me though.
I have been thinking of making a counter pressure bottling wand ( of sorts ) though. That would be a nice addition to the bottling setup. You have to bottle some!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Toga
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Michigan
Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts

I bottled for a few years. Bottling can be a chore until you get a process that works for you down to a science. With that said I prefer to keg. I started kegging a few months back and kick my self for not starting to keg sooner.

Since starting to keg I have upped my batches to 6 gallons so I can bottle some and keg the rest. Seems to be working out well.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

I used to bottle (started off that way) in swing top bottles. I've since switched over to pushing my finished brew into corny kegs (I, typically, fill two 3 gallon kegs per batch). I have the ability to bottle off of tap/keg though. Having the ability to do that means I don't worry about a lot of elements anymore. For one thing (as already posted) I can dial in the carbonation level to where I really want it. Not something you can do with bottle carbonating. I can also pull a few bottles, of different sizes, to bring someplace and not worry about how carbonated they are. I also don't worry about someone drinking from the bottle and getting a mouth full of sediment. Then there's less items to clean and sanitized. Not to mention it takes far less time to transfer to a keg than to bottle. I can have my two corny kegs filled in about the same amount of time it takes to rack into a bottling bucket. Then I'm basically done. I've also tweaked my system so that I only have to watch the level in the corny keg. Once it's where it needs to be, I move the transfer hose to the second keg (I fill via the liquid post on the serving keg).

IF I was to do things all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have switched to kegging far sooner. Maybe even from the start.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
tre9er

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts

Yep, not having to boil water, look up sugar weight needed, another rack to bottling bucket THEN another rack to bottles, then wait 2-4 weeks, sediment...some styles really shine when bottled...but for ease and control, I like kegging.

Now, I'll be bottling my Bananas Foster beer though to maintain the aroma of everything that went into it...but that's a special case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Waukee, IA
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Well, I agree with everybody here that says that kegging is easier but I prefer bottling for a couple of reasons. 1. Money...bottling really costs next to nothing compared to kegging. Iowa has a bottle deposit so I just went to the local grocery store and paid for the deposit and I had all the bottles I wanted for .05 each. Granted I had to clean them but I figured my time was cheap. 2. Space...when I first started to home brew, I was living in a small house with a wife and two small kids so space was at a premium and a couple cases of bottles really doesn't take much space at all. Transportation...my wife and I seemed to spend a lot of our time socializing at other people's houses so it was easy to take a sixer to someone's house in small cooler. Also, my other passion is fishing and nothing beats fishing while drinking a home brew...it just hits the spot but its tough to take a keg and ice bucket on my small fishing boat...I suppose I could leave the wife at home...shhh...don't tell her that

Those are just a few quick things I thought of...

Mark

Reason: Can't type to save my life