Last 2 Batchs SOUR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascott6

Reaction score
What the Hell. The last 2 batches i did have turned out sour after fermentation. I use a plastic bucket. I can't see any scratches in it but assume there must be something.

Should i not use it any more ?

I think i may to glass carboy's from now on.

Whats your opinion

How are you sanitizing? Buckets are fine if treated right. What is your process for transfer?

How old is your beer? Maybe it needs to age?

Star San, dump wort into fermenter out of pot.
Both batchs tasted fine before pitching the yeast.
1st batch was 3 months old.
2nd is about 2 months

It's an infection most likely. There are a lot of ways to get them. For instance, I was racking out of my primary into secondary using the spigot at the bottom of the bucket. Then, I'd syphon from the carboy to the keg. Well, I was syphoning using my mouth (stupid), and getting an infection from it. Ruined 2 batches of beer until I narrowed it down to that (should never have happened in the first place). You'll read this everywhere on here, but ... sanitation, sanitation, sanitation.

If you suspect your bucket, give it a diluted bleach rinse with a clean sponge. That will get ANYTHING.

If this hasn't been a problem before and you haven't changed anything else I would just get a new bucket. Or make the switch to carboys. It's not worth another batch trying to clean it.

pascott6 said:
Star San, dump wort into fermenter out of pot.
Both batchs tasted fine before pitching the yeast.
1st batch was 3 months old.
2nd is about 2 months

At 2 and 3 months are we talking in the bottle or keg or are they primary/secondary that long and when are you tasting the sour? Before or after packaging?

Sour would really be an infection and if its in the packaged phase then it could be anything from bottles, caps, wands, tubing, racking, kegs, seals , gaskets, taps, tap lines, etc.......

Back