Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #451
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
Why cant you just pasteurize to end fermentation?
You can

Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #452
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Theres the answer then =}

No need to add any more chemicals... thanks to our pal Louie... =}

Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #453
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Yup, potassium sorbate is used to prevent yeast reproduction. Any yeast that is alive and fermenting will continue to do so. It's effectiveness is also dependent on things like the PH of the brew. Potassium metabisulfite does kill yeast, but is also effected by a few chemical factors in the brew.

IMO, if you want to stop fermentation pasteurization is preferable. It doesn't require any additional chemicals and is very reliable. If you are worried about compromising your flavor, decrease the temperature of the pasteurization and increase the time. Most flavor damage is done due to higher temperatures used in commercial rapid pasteurization machines. Also, sake is routinely pasteurized as that will also kill any lacto or acetobacter that might be lurking in the brew. That makes me doubt that it presents a flavor problem for rice wine.

/me Climbs off soapbox.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #454
tkrafty
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Hops? Enzymes from grains?

So... I like the idea, and I am going to try it plain and simple but of course I am already planning on how to screw with it!

I can get the qu yeast balls locally and I know that I need the enzymes they contain, but I was also thinking of simply throwing in a handful of 2-row and letting sit at 150 degrees for a while... same/similar enzymes, but a different approach and might lend a more beer-like flavor.

For that matter, what about tossing a few hops in the jar when starting the ferment? Like 'dry hopping' the rice wine.

Also, if you plan to drink it fresh, there's nothing stopping you from drinking it sooner in the fermentation cycle. Sandor Katz has some interesting twists on this idea in The Art of Fermentation.

I love the idea because you get nearly distilled levels of alcohol, but retain more of the flavor of your 'mash' because you aren't distilling to neutral spirits and then cutting it. Very excited. Now to get to that store!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #455
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrafty View Post
So... I like the idea, and I am going to try it plain and simple but of course I am already planning on how to screw with it!

I can get the qu yeast balls locally and I know that I need the enzymes they contain, but I was also thinking of simply throwing in a handful of 2-row and letting sit at 150 degrees for a while... same/similar enzymes, but a different approach and might lend a more beer-like flavor.

For that matter, what about tossing a few hops in the jar when starting the ferment? Like 'dry hopping' the rice wine.

Also, if you plan to drink it fresh, there's nothing stopping you from drinking it sooner in the fermentation cycle. Sandor Katz has some interesting twists on this idea in The Art of Fermentation.

I love the idea because you get nearly distilled levels of alcohol, but retain more of the flavor of your 'mash' because you aren't distilling to neutral spirits and then cutting it. Very excited. Now to get to that store!
I thought grain in the 150s had tons of lactobacillus?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #456
jadedev
Recipes 

hi,

made a batch of glutenous rice wine last week, the liquid was clear for 5 days and today it suddenly turned cloudy.

what's wrong?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #457
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
hi,

made a batch of glutenous rice wine last week, the liquid was clear for 5 days and today it suddenly turned cloudy.

what's wrong?
The batch was complete and bottled and this happened? How were you storing it? Did you add anything after it finished?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #458
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
hi,

what's wrong?
Nothing. It is usually cloudy.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #459
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I'm going to try this

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #460
jadedev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
The batch was complete and bottled and this happened? How were you storing it? Did you add anything after it finished?
No, I am still fermenting it. Its only been 6 days. My first time brewing

Rather odd that it was clear for 5 days and on the 6th it went all cloudy. Also notice the rice is getting more compact and no more air bubbles in between the rice.

The container is air tight, too much CO2?