Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different - Page 46 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #451
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,145
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
Why cant you just pasteurize to end fermentation?
You can
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #452
natedoggaz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Theres the answer then =}

No need to add any more chemicals... thanks to our pal Louie... =}
__________________
6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #453
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts


Yup, potassium sorbate is used to prevent yeast reproduction. Any yeast that is alive and fermenting will continue to do so. It's effectiveness is also dependent on things like the PH of the brew. Potassium metabisulfite does kill yeast, but is also effected by a few chemical factors in the brew.

IMO, if you want to stop fermentation pasteurization is preferable. It doesn't require any additional chemicals and is very reliable. If you are worried about compromising your flavor, decrease the temperature of the pasteurization and increase the time. Most flavor damage is done due to higher temperatures used in commercial rapid pasteurization machines. Also, sake is routinely pasteurized as that will also kill any lacto or acetobacter that might be lurking in the brew. That makes me doubt that it presents a flavor problem for rice wine.

/me Climbs off soapbox.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #454
tkrafty
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 22


So... I like the idea, and I am going to try it plain and simple but of course I am already planning on how to screw with it!

I can get the qu yeast balls locally and I know that I need the enzymes they contain, but I was also thinking of simply throwing in a handful of 2-row and letting sit at 150 degrees for a while... same/similar enzymes, but a different approach and might lend a more beer-like flavor.

For that matter, what about tossing a few hops in the jar when starting the ferment? Like 'dry hopping' the rice wine.

Also, if you plan to drink it fresh, there's nothing stopping you from drinking it sooner in the fermentation cycle. Sandor Katz has some interesting twists on this idea in The Art of Fermentation.

I love the idea because you get nearly distilled levels of alcohol, but retain more of the flavor of your 'mash' because you aren't distilling to neutral spirits and then cutting it. Very excited. Now to get to that store!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #455
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrafty View Post
So... I like the idea, and I am going to try it plain and simple but of course I am already planning on how to screw with it!

I can get the qu yeast balls locally and I know that I need the enzymes they contain, but I was also thinking of simply throwing in a handful of 2-row and letting sit at 150 degrees for a while... same/similar enzymes, but a different approach and might lend a more beer-like flavor.

For that matter, what about tossing a few hops in the jar when starting the ferment? Like 'dry hopping' the rice wine.

Also, if you plan to drink it fresh, there's nothing stopping you from drinking it sooner in the fermentation cycle. Sandor Katz has some interesting twists on this idea in The Art of Fermentation.

I love the idea because you get nearly distilled levels of alcohol, but retain more of the flavor of your 'mash' because you aren't distilling to neutral spirits and then cutting it. Very excited. Now to get to that store!
I thought grain in the 150s had tons of lactobacillus?
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #456
jadedev
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


hi,

made a batch of glutenous rice wine last week, the liquid was clear for 5 days and today it suddenly turned cloudy.

what's wrong?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #457
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 167 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
hi,

made a batch of glutenous rice wine last week, the liquid was clear for 5 days and today it suddenly turned cloudy.

what's wrong?
The batch was complete and bottled and this happened? How were you storing it? Did you add anything after it finished?
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #458
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,145
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedev View Post
hi,

made a batch of glutenous rice wine last week, the liquid was clear for 5 days and today it suddenly turned cloudy.

what's wrong?
Nothing. It is usually cloudy.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #459
Hopper77
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 151
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts


I'm going to try this

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #460
jadedev
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
The batch was complete and bottled and this happened? How were you storing it? Did you add anything after it finished?
No, I am still fermenting it. Its only been 6 days. My first time brewing

Rather odd that it was clear for 5 days and on the 6th it went all cloudy. Also notice the rice is getting more compact and no more air bubbles in between the rice.

The container is air tight, too much CO2?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Winemaking Forum 17 09-16-2014 02:26 AM
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Winemaking Forum 6 07-22-2014 11:18 PM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Winemaking Forum 13 10-15-2010 03:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Winemaking Forum 3 06-17-2010 01:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Winemaking Forum 3 04-13-2010 12:20 AM


Forum Jump