Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
So, thanks to this thread, I have had a batch of this sitting on my counter for going on a couple of weeks now. I have a couple of inches of liquid at the bottom of my jar. What are the next steps for this?
I will be updating this thread tomorrow when I extract the liquid

Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

OK. I guess everyone has waited long enough. It has been almost 4 weeks now. Sometimes the rice starts dropping after 3 weeks letting you know you are done done but this never did. No big deal... we will extract anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Weeks.jpg
Views:	11565
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	83129  

Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Pic 1: Start by taking a collection vessel (I used a large glass mixing bowl) and line with your straining cloth (I used cheese cloth).

Pic 2: Dump your rice wine into the bowl. Liquid AND rice. At this point in time, you will probably realize that it smells very alcoholic but also smells very good.

Name:	Prepare to extract.jpg
Views:	11067
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	83131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready 2 go.jpg
Views:	11073
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	83132  

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Many people eat the left over rice mash or use it as animal feed. Mine goes in the garbage.

I put the mash on my hop strainer for a while just to let it drip out some more.

Name:	Strain.jpg
Views:	11162
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	83133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strain Again.jpg
Views:	11105
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	83135  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

At this point, you should have a lightly yellowish liquid that looks like this. This is your rice wine. You can keep it as is or flavor it. I had some left over pomegranate seeds in the fridge so I juiced them out and added it.

Transfer to a storage container... anything should work. I used a funnel to pour it into a 500mL cobalt bottle... cause they are sexy. Store in the refrigerator at all times to prevent continued fermentation and oxidation into rice wine vinegar.

Name:	Rice Wine.jpg
Views:	11095
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	83136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to bottle.jpg
Views:	11073
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	83137  

Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Here is the final product. It tastes absolutely delicious!

It is very sweet with a little bit of wine bite. Remember this stuff is VERY high in alcohol and packs a wicked punch so drink responsibly!

Name:	Final RW.jpg
Views:	11329
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	83138  

Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have my yeast on hand, from the Asian365 site I referenced earlier...there must be a dozen packets of double yeast balls in what they sell. Actually ended up ordering some of their red yeast rice also. Anyway, I wanted to share a link to a sweet fermented rice recipe, since it was mentioned that some people eat fermented rice. I have had this treat a few times and am thrilled that I finally found the yeast and can make it at home.

I will be cooking rice for wine tomorrow, and probably some sweet rice too.

http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.co...-rice.html?m=1

...Sara

Name:	ForumRunner_20121109_183414.png
Views:	11094
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	83151  

Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #38
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright assembled this tonight. Soaked four cups glutinous rice for a minimum of one hour in cold water and rinsed well. To rice cooker with eight cups water for thirty minutes, no longer per an Asian food vendor at Ft Knox. Threw three yeast balls and 1/2 cup red yeast rice in blender, processed until fine powder. Transferred just cooked rice to large tray, one layer and allow to cool just until you can handle without getting burned. Using two gallon glass jar with lid, I took a golfball size of rice with damp hands, and formed into ball, rolled in yeast powder, and created one layer of balls on bottom of jar. Continue using remainder of yeast and rice OR if the ball assembly annoys you he said to just pour remaining yeast over remaini.g rice and chuck it by the handful into the jar. Apply lid and since rice is still hot it will form condensation and that is all you need. He says kerp in warm place, wrap in blanket, stir once a week and strain, no squeezing or pressing of rice, between day 21 and 28. Go no more than 30. Can add fruit juice when done. He adds k-meta for preservative and leaves on counter, says his daughters like to keep in refrig and get goofy. My father-in-law translated, and I cannot recall the dialect because he speaks many.

Name:	ForumRunner_20121113_193517.jpg
Views:	5672
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	83809

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #39
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Interesting twist with the red rice yeast. I have never ever ever had to use any k-meta or anything else when making this. Almost all of your liquid will be alcohol. Rice wine is quite possibly the HIGHEST abv drink you can make without distilling and will be around 20% right out the gate. Chances of having something in there you don't want range from slim to... well zero

I am glad someone found some use in this thread!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #40
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I plan on trying this was looking for yeast balls locally but no luck will order online thanks