Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #3511
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 324

The first time, I pulled from a batch since I wasn't sure I'd like it. Since then, I make separate batches just for eating. Usually just the leftover rice I can't fit in the fermenter. I prefer it chilled too so I put it in the fridge about 2 hours before eating.

If it can be brewed, I'm interested.
OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #3512
SteveDodds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Day 24 spaghetti and potato finished
Since it is 8:00 am I will not be swallowing.

First the spaghetti:
Color: Cloudy urine.
Smell: Not bad but not great. Very alcoholic. A faint grainy smell. Many floral beer like smells much like a trappist ale or maybe a lambic. Almost smells like a bowl of Wheaties. The smell makes me wish it had some hops in it. A rather sweet floral citrusy smell.
Taste: Also not bad but not great. Drinkable...I think. Quite sweet. Floral notes. Lots of citrusy notes like orange juice. Lots of citrusy aftertaste. Lots of body. Very citrusy like a mixture of orange, lemon, and maybe pineapple juice. A taste almost like several day old Mountain Dew. Has a strong mouth bite but not in an alcoholic way.
Conclusion: Not something I will be doing again. Produced a drinkable product but its just not my thing. But for others this might be worth doing some more investigating.

Potato:
Color: The color of lemon juice.
Smell: Very paint like. Smells exactly like my wife's finger nail polish with a little bit of rotten egg mixed in. I should not have smelled it as hard as I did. Wasn't sure if I was going to survive it. Kind of nauseating.
Taste: It was very hard to bring myself to taste it. When I did taste it I actually gagged and almost vomited.
Conclusion: Nasty! Disgusting!

Epilogue: For others that are interested the spaghetti might be ok. I strongly advise everyone to not make the potato. However, YMMV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02426.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	179285   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02428.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	179286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02430.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	179292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02431.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	179293  
People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #3513
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
Day 24 spaghetti and potato finished
Since it is 8:00 am I will not be swallowing.

First the spaghetti:
Color: Cloudy urine.
Smell: Not bad but not great. Very alcoholic. A faint grainy smell. Many floral beer like smells much like a trappist ale or maybe a lambic. Almost smells like a bowl of Wheaties. The smell makes me wish it had some hops in it. A rather sweet floral citrusy smell.
Taste: Also not bad but not great. Drinkable...I think. Quite sweet. Floral notes. Lots of citrusy notes like orange juice. Lots of citrusy aftertaste. Lots of body. Very citrusy like a mixture of orange, lemon, and maybe pineapple juice. A taste almost like several day old Mountain Dew. Has a strong mouth bite but not in an alcoholic way.
Conclusion: Not something I will be doing again. Produced a drinkable product but its just not my thing. But for others this might be worth doing some more investigating.

Potato:
Color: The color of lemon juice.
Smell: Very paint like. Smells exactly like my wife's finger nail polish with a little bit of rotten egg mixed in. I should not have smelled it as hard as I did. Wasn't sure if I was going to survive it. Kind of nauseating.
Taste: It was very hard to bring myself to taste it. When I did taste it I actually gagged and almost vomited.
Conclusion: Nasty! Disgusting!

Epilogue: For others that are interested the spaghetti might be ok. I strongly advise everyone to not make the potato. However, YMMV.
I'm surprised. would have thought the noodles would have turned out way worse than the potatoes.

The enzymes in the yeast balls must be more suited to grain than pure starches.

I wonder if you used a whole wheat pasta if it might turn out better?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #3514
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Ewwww.... or you could just stick to rice.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #3515
WesleyS
Are you actually reading this?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3507 Times on 2333 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Ewwww.... or you could just stick to rice.
^this
That reminds me. It's time to harvest my latest batch!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #3516
Temptd2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 358

So not to be outshown by all you EXPERIENCED brew-type alpha males here (and yes, my fella female brewers too) - I couldn't stand it, I started two more batches of rice wine, even though my first batch is barely five days old!

I did one batch with the sweet rice, 2 pounds rice to 4 cups water, stovetop cooking, which is backed way off on the water, as my first try was 2 pounds rice to 7 cups water.

Then I did another batch with 2 pounds Thai Lucky Elephant rice (from Costco, 25 pound bag for $17.99) cooked exactly the same way. I did rinse but did not soak.

Both batches of rice came out really beautiful. They are now cooling off enough to scatter the yeastage over them shortly. I plan on 2 crushed yeast balls per batch, then they're into their respective 2 quart Ball canning jars with coffee filters and rings on the top.

Then they're gonna go into my little "ferment chamber" with their older cousin to rest, relax, and reproduce for the next 3 weeks!

My first batch is running at just over 60* but seems to be fine - there is a good inch or so of liquid at the bottom, and no visible "boogeys" of any kind on the rice.

I cannot wait to taste this stuff! We went by the LBS today and the proprietor is all watered up to try it too. He has another customer who brews rice wine, and he said it was absolutely DELICIOUS when said customer brought some in for him to try. BIG FUN and again, thanks to all those who have gone before me. I'm up to page 168 now! LOL!
OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #3517
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

potatoes are good to make alcohol out of . Not wine . Vodka .

Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #3518
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by kako187 View Post
I used Thai Sweet Rice, 8 cups dry rice to 12 cups water and 4 yeast balls.
Most of my batches have a kind of "peak" alcohol aroma. Usually in the middle of the fermentation process, and they then calm down during week 3. It doesn't seem to effect the final flavor significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptd2 View Post
...Ambient room temp this time of year runs between 59* and 66*, depending on how warm the day is and whether or not the furnace is running (which is set to 64*).

KotC (King of the Castle) wanted it out of the house because he wants to brew beer this coming weekend and didn't want any weird yeasties abounding, so I put my jar of goodness out in the laundry room, still swaddled, and into a picnic-type cooler.

I checked the temp with a laser thermometer and it's running about 62*. There is a fair amount of liquid developing already, and no mold that I can discern yet. I have NOT opened the top on it nor otherwise molested the stuff, except to take the towel off just enough to check the temp, and the aforementioned banishment to the laundry room!...
You are actually on the cool side for rice wine, so you might not have as good of a conversion efficiency as you might want.

I also want to steal your laser thermometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptd2 View Post
Yep, I'm gonna just let it RELAXXXXX for 3 weeks with no intervention from me!

As for the jasmine rice, it will have to wait a bit - the local Asian market had 5 pound bags of sweet rice at $3.99 each - so I bought 4 bags! I'll definitely try some of the Thai Jasmine after that though, they had it there too.
I've gotten consistently better results from short grain sweet rice myself. I also personally prefer the wine it produces to the jasmine. The aroma of the jasmine is better, but I like the flavor of the sweet rice better.

Oh, I was actually able to find an Asian market with better prices on short grain rice. I've switched over to that as preferable for rice wine. It's annoying to handle, but IMO makes better wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I laughed at this part! I brew other stuff around my rice wine all the time! Aspergillus which is likely what is performing the saccharification though is a prolific contaminant at least in the laboratory environment.
Hmm aspergillus likes starch, but I wonder about it being able to address simpler sugars. So, even if it did get in the beer, would it be able to do anything?

Enquiring mimes want to gnome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1010 View Post
I get them here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRIED-YEAST-...item1e851900eb
I know....seamless plug.
Hey Jak, you still out of ARL? I'm wanting to do a largish batch with ARL but haven't seen it locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
Day 24 spaghetti and potato finished...
I'm sorry, I can't seem to find the original post. Did you cook the potatoes prior to fermentation?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #3519
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Still out of ARL. The guy at the market says it's coming from China and could take a while. I'll definitely keep you updated.
If it can be brewed, I'm interested.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #3520
SteveDodds
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post

I'm sorry, I can't seem to find the original post. Did you cook the potatoes prior to fermentation?
I peeled them then continued to use the potato peeler to make really thin slices. I boiled them just a little bit to soften them up. I didn't boil them to the point of making them soft enough to make mashed potatoes.