Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #2461
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Leadgolem,

I had that same growth on both batches of my recent Red Yeast Rice + Sushi Rice + Yeast balls. I'm willing to bet it is a fungus and that it's probably Aspergillus or Rhyzopus from the yeast balls. I was reading in that historical Chinese rice wine .pdf that both types of fungus are common in regional variations of yeast balls and will break down rice starch into alpha amylase and beta gluconase. In essence, they're creating a double fermentation environment and feeding the yeasts very similar to the way koji breaks down sake for sake yeast.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #2462
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
So Leadgolem do you have a favorite from that last test batch? And to date?
I just shake my head unable to believe it is so simple. I think I will start my batch of Angel Rice Leaven this week, it is time.
OKAY!!! I'm super excited to hear your feedback on the Angel Rice Leaven.

I've done a few experiments (not as much as Leadgolem) and have been pleased with all of them.

ps. If you need more, you know where to go. I've got plenty more where that came from. : )

If it can be brewed, I'm interested.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #2463
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
So Leadgolem do you have a favorite from that last test batch? And to date?
I just shake my head unable to believe it is so simple. I think I will start my batch of Angel Rice Leaven this week, it is time.
Absolutely. The white rice wine with yeast nutrient, batch 7. I like the way the vanilla flavor an aroma was more prominent then I've seen in previous batches. It's also got a lower level of particulates then is typical. My comment on it being on the thin side is more a comment on the level of particulates then anything else. It's actually my overall favorite as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Leadgolem,

I had that same growth on both batches of my recent Red Yeast Rice + Sushi Rice + Yeast balls. I'm willing to bet it is a fungus and that it's probably Aspergillus or Rhyzopus from the yeast balls. I was reading in that historical Chinese rice wine .pdf that both types of fungus are common in regional variations of yeast balls and will break down rice starch into alpha amylase and beta gluconase. In essence, they're creating a double fermentation environment and feeding the yeasts very similar to the way koji breaks down sake for sake yeast.
Oh, I think you are right about that. I've just never had it be visible on the red rice wine before. Since that is also the first batch of red rice wine I've done with yeast nutrient, I thought it was worth noting.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #2464
embreedow
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, so instead of trying anything with the spiced vietnamese yeast, I just went to a different Asian supermarket. It was huge! there are a few in the orlando area but this one I liked the best. It's called 1st oriental supermarket for anyone in the Orlando area.
I did Sarah's original recipe with the RYR and yeast and I used sweet rice. The only thing is, I used a water to rice ratio of .5-.75 to one. So i didn't use as much water as everyone else. I am wondering if this will still work and ferment?
Also, I let my rice cool in the fridge because I had to run to class. Will this inhibit the process at all?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #2465
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by embreedow View Post
Ok, so instead of trying anything with the spiced vietnamese yeast, I just went to a different Asian supermarket. It was huge! there are a few in the orlando area but this one I liked the best. It's called 1st oriental supermarket for anyone in the Orlando area.
I did Sarah's original recipe with the RYR and yeast and I used sweet rice. The only thing is, I used a water to rice ratio of .5-.75 to one. So i didn't use as much water as everyone else. I am wondering if this will still work and ferment?
Also, I let my rice cool in the fridge because I had to run to class. Will this inhibit the process at all?
The water may or may not be a problem. As long as it is not TOO dry, you should get at least some wine.

The refrigerator is no problem. I have left rice in the fridge for a week and then made wine with it.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #2466
aiptasia
Recipes 

Agreed. It's a little dry. Unless you let the rice pre-soak for an hour (or overnight in the fridge), I use 1.25:1 ratio of rice to water. You might not notice much liquid until you press the rice lees in about three weeks time.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #2467
brewsmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Made it on June 26 and still don't see the floating rice but a rather gelationus rice blob that is obviously full of liguid but not at all separated. Let it sit or is that a sign to cut ones losses?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2468
embreedow
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I looked earlier today and it's lookin good. I can already tell it is definitely starting to ferment. I'll post in about 3 weeks with the results to show everybody the yield with rice that uses a little less water.
aiptasia Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #2469
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmedic View Post
Made it on June 26 and still don't see the floating rice but a rather gelationus rice blob that is obviously full of liguid but not at all separated. Let it sit or is that a sign to cut ones losses?
You can't always tell. Sometimes the rice liquefies from the inside out and doesn't fall apart until you squeeze it a little and break the rice open. You might as well give it the full three weeks, then see what you get out of it. You should have liquid in the jar between the rice at this point though.

Out of around 16 batches I've had 2 do that. They didn't have anything in common, so I'm not sure why it happens.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2470
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmedic View Post
Agreed. My last two RYR batches didn't show any signs of liquefying until the final week. The blob of rice is likely full of liquid. It's amazing how much fluid you can squeeze out of the lees at the end.