Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2441
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Here's an interesting development. I started another two 3 cup batches of rice wine last night in target cracker jars. This fills them to about 1/3 volume of steamed sushi rice and they get two small crushed up yeast balls each jar. I washed the heck out of this rice until it ran clear and just put them in my kitchen cabinet for the full 3 week fermentation next to two smaller jars of RYR+sushi rice at about 2 weeks in.

Today was my last rice addition on the true sake project and either I miscalculated the final volume of rice or the novelty bell jar i'm using for the sake isn't truly 1 gallon in capacity. I had to take about half of the final volume of rice and water and mix it into one of the jars of rice wine I whipped up last night. I know what you're thinking, why didn't I just grab another jar and divide up the batch of sake into two batches....

I had no empty jars in the house. Not a one. Not even an empty baby food jar. Doh!

In order to create a 2-3" neck space for fermentation in the sake jar, I had to scoop out a little glucose water, koji, sushi rice and lalvin 1116 in order to free up space in the sake jar. That mixture of sake goodness went right into the cracker jar with the extra rice and yeast balls from yesterday.

It should make for an interesting fermentation to say the least.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2442
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Actually, I'm talking about the jars that have turned pink instead of red. The ones with residual enzyme and pigment from the home dried RYR. I'm wondering what they are going to taste like. Red rice wine does not really taste like white rice wine.
This is true. I have two batches of RYR+sushi rice about 2 weeks into fermentation. I will be squeezing the lees on those batches next Wednesday.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #2443
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 324

To everyone who ordered yeast balls and Angel Rice Leaven from me on 7/4, first off, thank you for the business. I didn't think I'd get so many orders on a holiday. I guess this is a favorite time to brew. Second, all orders were shipped early this morning. Thanks again and happy 4th to all!!!!!!!

Cheers...
If it can be brewed, I'm interested.
Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #2444
embreedow
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ive read through about half of this thread, and decided to try it out. I went to the local vietnamese store in my city, and got the only rice yeast they had to make wine with. It wasn't balls, but about a good palm full of compressed white powder. It has ginger cinnamon and some other stuff in it so it looks like itll turn out creating something pretty good tasting. I was wondering, how much rice should i use with said palm-full of yeast?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #2445
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by embreedow View Post
. I was wondering, how much rice should i use with said palm-full of yeast?
I think---Someone on here has used a spiced yeast blend & I cannot recall the outcome. My concern is you have a product made of nutritional brewer's yeast. Before I assembled everything, I would add 1/4 tsp of said spiced yeast to 4 oz apple juice & confirm it is alive. Like proofing bread yeast, which this might be, to an extent.

Normally I use 20 gm of yeast balls per 2 pounds raw, well rinsed, rice...no idea what to recommend if your spiced yeast is actually alive. Caution: there is a chance your yeast is not the enzyme producing yeast you need to ferment the cooked rice.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #2446
aiptasia
Recipes 

Watch out for preservatives in apple juice. Use natural, all organic cider if you can find it. That, or just use simple syrup (sugar and water).

Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #2447
embreedow
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

ok will do, if it works ill get the rice goin and update if/when it starts workin!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #2448
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 1567

Running out of rice, and down to my last two rice balls. So, I made a small batch with 1 cup RYR, 2 balls, 3 red serrano peppers, 1 cup Turbinado sugar, and around 3 cups jasmine rice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130707_135057 (1).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	133738  

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #2449
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
Running out of rice, and down to my last two rice balls. So, I made a small batch with 1 cup RYR, 2 balls, 3 red serrano peppers, 1 cup Turbinado sugar, and around 3 cups jasmine rice.
Now that should be truly interesting.

My experiments have indicated you can get at least one additional batch out of the pressed leftover starch mass from a batch of red rice wine. As long as you pitch the starch mass immediately into the new fresh rice. That might be a way for you to stretch your supplies a bit.
LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #2450
Descender
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 21 Posts

just picked up a 2 gallon Anchor Hocking (sp?) jar from Target for $13.99! going big. any insight into tall jars vs. wide jars? they also had what appears to be about a 6gallon wide mouth carboy on the end of an isle for $50. opted for a juicer instead lol.

In Stasis: Rocket fuel