Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different - Page 20 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #191
negativereaction
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts


Let it be known that my two batches that are currently fermenting both are hairy on top after a couple weeks, maybe an inch of fuzz, to the point where the rice grains themselves are not visible. It's a nice downy soft white fuzz. I'm fermenting around 80F (ambient temps in my FL garage). I'm still going to harvest the resulting liquid, although I am not sure I want my liquid to come into contact with that fuzz, so the harvesting process might be a bit sketchy. Definitely not going to discard what I have, but I think the next batch I might add water to my jars to get the rice just submerged below the surface, on the hunch that the water will prevent the onset of fuzz, or at least slow it down

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #192
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by negativereaction View Post
Let it be known that my two batches that are currently fermenting both are hairy on top after a couple weeks, maybe an inch of fuzz, to the point where the rice grains themselves are not visible. It's a nice downy soft white fuzz. I'm fermenting around 80F (ambient temps in my FL garage). I'm still going to harvest the resulting liquid, although I am not sure I want my liquid to come into contact with that fuzz, so the harvesting process might be a bit sketchy. Definitely not going to discard what I have, but I think the next batch I might add water to my jars to get the rice just submerged below the surface, on the hunch that the water will prevent the onset of fuzz, or at least slow it down
I definitely would not add water. There is a Thai version like this and it just invites unwanted molds. Do you have your cloth/lid airlock on tight, sanitized everything well etc.?
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #193
negativereaction
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 102
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts


Ah, ok, thanks for the info on the water.

I'm sure my lid if not tight enough, and probably not sanitized well enough. Going to fire up another batch with a new jar, drowning everything in starsan first, and with extra effort to keeping things clean.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #194
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Yeah, I am not a sanitation Nazi or anything but I rinse the jar, lid, and cheesecloth with starsan and I keep the rice covered while it is cooling and stuff. Never have any trouble.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

mrsamisme Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #195
ErinRae
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
, Ontario
Posts: 163
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Ugg reading anything about mold just makes me cringe! Mold scares me..if I open something that has mold I usually jump back, or drop it, definitely run for my husband to take care of it Aww well sounds like a great experiment though!!
__________________
Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #196
mrkrausen
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mrkrausen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
KC, MO
Posts: 473
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts


Okay, I feel a little better. I have some mold in one of my rice wine vessels growing on the top that looks just like post 118 think it was. I guess it's no biggie and to be expected even. My next question is it sounds like most of you are stirring it over the course of fermentation. I haven't yet and I'm about a week in. I guess I'll do that when I get home.
__________________
I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

mrsamisme Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #197
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Ugg reading anything about mold just makes me cringe! Mold scares me..if I open something that has mold I usually jump back, or drop it, definitely run for my husband to take care of it Aww well sounds like a great experiment though!!
I hope you never need a shot of penicillin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrausen View Post
Okay, I feel a little better. I have some mold in one of my rice wine vessels growing on the top that looks just like post 118 think it was. I guess it's no biggie and to be expected even. My next question is it sounds like most of you are stirring it over the course of fermentation. I haven't yet and I'm about a week in. I guess I'll do that when I get home.
I have not ever stirred. I have read its ok to do though.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #198
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


I'm so not afraid of mold... I'll eat moldy cheese, bread, I don't care. Not black mold, but face it everything is covered with bacteria, parasites and microorganisms.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #199
cincydave
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 274
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


OK, found this thread yesterday and went out and got some sticky rice and yeast balls today. The lady at the oriental grocry said one yeast ball to 2 pounds of rice. Batch is now "cooking" in a one gallon glass container. Hopefully will end up with something tasty.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #200
groundling
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
, il
Posts: 15
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


3 days in and there is about a cup of liquid in it now. I was concerned at first because I over cooked it slightly and this was the stickiest rice I have ever seen. I mean, it was difficult to get off my hands with soap and water. Anyway, when I first put it in the jar I was concerned that no oxygen would get into the middle. clearly that didn't make a wit of difference.

Also of interest, the top of it is covered in a white mold. Really fluffy looking. I'm not concerned about it because the koji rice had a fine hairy later on it to begin with. I assume that is what koji looks like.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Winemaking Forum 17 09-16-2014 02:26 AM
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Winemaking Forum 6 07-22-2014 11:18 PM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Winemaking Forum 13 10-15-2010 03:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Winemaking Forum 3 06-17-2010 01:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Winemaking Forum 3 04-13-2010 12:20 AM


Forum Jump