National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Sake Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #1521
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2713 Times on 2100 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Ha, sonofgrok is becoming like the Revvy of rice wine. "Do not open the jar. You WILL make wine if you leave it the hell alone."
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #1522
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
How is everyone smelling these just out of curiosity? Are you opening it? I never smell a thing until harvesting time because that is the first time I ever open it. Maybe that is why mine always smells great...
Never really opened them. But, I smelled near the lids. The one with the RYR does smell good. The other "regular" batch has a smell that reminds me of the glue/paste that we used as kids back in grammar school.
If it can be brewed, I'm interested.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #1523
Tabb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabb View Post
I have few more days till the 21 day harvest day. I really want to pitch some of this on to Asian pear and some on to plum. I'd like to put the fruit in the bottle. Should I pasteurize the whole batch then cut up fruit and put fruit in freezer then put in bottle then bottle pasteurized rice wine on to it? Or should I divide pasteurize some bottle that. Transfer to two buckets some with each kind of fruit?
I need advice.
Any thoughts?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #1524
SIXFOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Putting fruit in there with it unpasturized will wake up the yeasties and get fermentation started again, you will lose some sugar that way and its sweetnes but gain a bit of alcohol. Pasturize, then put on fruit and let it sit a while, thats my story
Bottled; Octoberfest Lager, SalmonFest Lager, Big Head Red, Boca Bitch Gluetin Free, Belgian Wit, Dark Knight Sweet Stout, American Pale, Boca Brown Ale

Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #1525
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER View Post
Putting fruit in there with it unpasturized will wake up the yeasties and get fermentation started again, you will lose some sugar that way and its sweetnes but gain a bit of alcohol. Pasturize, then put on fruit and let it sit a while, thats my story
I always add fruit after harvesting and never pasteurize. We drink it all within a week or two though.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #1526
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Started my second batch today, harvesting the first batch soon - maybe tonight, it's been 3 weeks but it's hard to tell how much liquid is in there. This batch went really well as I was more patient and waited for things to properly cool before adding the yeast balls. My admin at work has a container of peanut butter pretzels on her desk at all times that you can buy at Costco, turns out that it's a gallon and PET, so I grabbed one of the empties and put a batch of rice wine in it. 6C of rice fit perfectly, I may just have her keep giving me the empties
Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #1527
Tabb
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. Saturday is harvest day so I'll plan on getting the fruits Wednesday or Thursday so I can cut they up and get it frozen.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #1528
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I just had a small sample for the first time in a few weeks. Completely different taste than the last time. Tastes like a standard wine, very smooth. I'm impressed, much better than I expected it to turn out after those first samples.

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Shabak chair NWPA; 2. Blonde; 3. Kiss Yer Cousin Rye 4. Oktoberfest lager; 5. EMPTY 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #1529
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
How is everyone smelling these just out of curiosity? Are you opening it? I never smell a thing until harvesting time because that is the first time I ever open it. Maybe that is why mine always smells great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I was able to pick the jars up and smell near the lid. I'm the same as you. I like to just leave everything alone and not mess with it,opening, stirring, etc. The smell was strong enough where I didn't need to open the jars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1010 View Post
Never really opened them. But, I smelled near the lids. The one with the RYR does smell good. The other "regular" batch has a smell that reminds me of the glue/paste that we used as kids back in grammar school.
This is what I did too. Just stuck my nose right next to the threads on the jar and took a long whiff.

The only time I've smelled library paste was when I was harvesting the batch made with regular long grain rice. It was such a clear loser in the grains experiment I didn't see a need to really go into it in all that much detail.

When I was crushing the RYR for the 4+1 batch RYR experiment I did notice that the crushed RYR has a very definite raisin smell. It's rather nice actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabb View Post
Any thoughts?
Quote:
This is true. I usually like to let my yeast break up solid fruit a bit though. I haven't done any fruit additions to the rice wine yet though. I'd like to get a good process worked out before I go messing with it to much.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #1530
TheDemonSlick
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Fruits can contain natural yeasts and other stuff especially on the skins. It can grow. If you have pure ethanol it kills everything, but in lower alcohol levels be careful. If you're drinking it like right after adding fruit no worries, but its a posssibility if you let it sit for more than 6 hours depending on temp. Most fruit juices you buy commercially are already pastuerized.