Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #121
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
Those of you making fruit flavored varieties... How and when are you adding the fruit flavor?
At bottling. Adding fresh squeezed juice.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #122
Halbrust
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Thank you son. Is there no secondary fermentation?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #123
kevinstan
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


No secondary fermentation on this. Just strained when completed. Read the first page explains the process.

jimbobbillyray Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #124
Halbrust
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Read the whole thing. I was asking about a secondary AKA a bright tank, I was asking about restarted fermentation when you introduce fermentable sugars
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #125
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
Read the whole thing. I was asking about a secondary AKA a bright tank, I was asking about restarted fermentation when you introduce fermentable sugars
No restart of fermentation because it goes right in the fridge for storage.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #126
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 169 Times on 153 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
Thank you son. Is there no secondary fermentation?
If you are using the yeast balls they are dried yeast and amylase and usually a type of koji...and if there are live yeast available when you add fermentables during backsweetening/flavoring they will kick off a ferment. Yeast are yeast.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

mrsamisme Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #127
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
If you are using the yeast balls they are dried yeast and amylase and usually a type of koji...and if there are live yeast available when you add fermentables during backsweetening/flavoring they will kick off a ferment. Yeast are yeast.
Except that you are immediately putting it in the fridge after flavoring... so no new fermentation because you are effectively cold crashing. Yeast are yeast
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #128
Unferth
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Vancouver, BC
Posts: 423
Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts


ive been watching this for the past few weeks and it looks flipping awesome.

Alright, now has anybody done an honest batch of this stuff yet? I'm talking a normal 6 gallon brewing bucket full of savory rice and malty Chinese balls?

I can't be fooling around with these piddly 1 gallon batches I got kids to feed and friends to, well, get drunk.

How many balls would one use for such an endeavor?

mrsamisme Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #129
Unferth
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Vancouver, BC
Posts: 423
Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
ive been watching this for the past few weeks and it looks flipping awesome.

Alright, now has anybody done an honest batch of this stuff yet? I'm talking a normal 6 gallon brewing bucket full of savory rice and malty Chinese balls?

I can't be fooling around with these piddly 1 gallon batches I got kids to feed and friends to, well, get drunk.

How many balls would one use for such an endeavor?
Oh, and how much wine should I expect to get from 6 gallons? Estimated, of course.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #130
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,142
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Oh, and how much wine should I expect to get from 6 gallons? Estimated, of course.
6 Gallons of rice!?!?!?!? Well this is a real rough estimation but I would say depending on rice used maybe 2 gallons. You do realize drinking this is less like a beer and more like a distilled spirit right?
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Winemaking Forum 17 09-16-2014 02:26 AM
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Winemaking Forum 6 07-22-2014 11:18 PM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Winemaking Forum 13 10-15-2010 03:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Winemaking Forum 3 06-17-2010 01:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Winemaking Forum 3 04-13-2010 12:20 AM


Forum Jump