Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different - Page 106 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #1051
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post


You could fill the multi-quart jar to the top and three days later steal a bit of sweet fermented rice for a tasty treat!
^^^^^ This Battlegoat, do it! Its delicious, I get to have some on Thursday



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #1052
nhamilto40
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
MO
Posts: 47
Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat View Post
So, assuming I have a fermentation vessel with a 3.5 quart capacity - how many cups of cooked rice would y'all suggest I aim for?
My current batch used 2 kg (~ 9.5 cups) of dry rice and fit into half of a 2.5 gallon jar.

So (9.5 cups/5 quarts) * 3.5 quarts ~= 6.5 cups of dry rice.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #1053
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mpride1911's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deferiet, NY
Posts: 438
Liked 133 Times on 93 Posts


Ok, just got home and checked the progress. My Saturday batch is all fuzzy with mold across the top, with a little water at the bottom. My Sunday batch has no mold, and a lot more water on the bottom.

Any thoughts? Is the mold a deal breaker? (I think it is.)
__________________
Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Counter Insurgency Triple

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout; 2. Baltic Porter; 3. Snow ESB 4. Steam Beer; 5. Pilsner 6. EMPTY

[B]Bottled: 1. 1.125 OG experiment

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #1054
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911 View Post
Ok, just got home and checked the progress. My Saturday batch is all fuzzy with mold across the top, with a little water at the bottom. My Sunday batch has no mold, and a lot more water on the bottom.

Any thoughts? Is the mold a deal breaker? (I think it is.)
Depends, you want it to have fuzzy white mold

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #1055
trbig
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
, Oklahoma
Posts: 327
Liked 88 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhamilto40 View Post
My current batch used 2 kg (~ 9.5 cups) of dry rice and fit into half of a 2.5 gallon jar.

So (9.5 cups/5 quarts) * 3.5 quarts ~= 6.5 cups of dry rice.

Huh!? 9.5 cups weighed 4.4 pounds? I think someone's been hitting the rice wine...
__________________
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #1056
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mpride1911's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Deferiet, NY
Posts: 438
Liked 133 Times on 93 Posts


Same jar from post 997, my Saturday batch. You can't really see the mold in the second pic, it's the little speckles. Most of it's white, some grey.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2608.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	105700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2610.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	105701  
__________________
Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Counter Insurgency Triple

Secondary: 1.
Kegged: 1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout; 2. Baltic Porter; 3. Snow ESB 4. Steam Beer; 5. Pilsner 6. EMPTY

[B]Bottled: 1. 1.125 OG experiment

mrsamisme Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #1057
nhamilto40
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
MO
Posts: 47
Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by trbig View Post
Huh!? 9.5 cups weighed 4.4 pounds? I think someone's been hitting the rice wine...
Not hitting the rice wine yet.. its not finished.

9.5 cups of short grain rice weighs about 2 kg (4.4 lb). I used Calrose which is a short grain type.

bulk density:

short grain polished rice 900 kg/m^3 = 900 g/L

Calculation:

9.5 cup ~= 2.25 liters

2.25 L * 900 g/L = 2025 g = 2.025 kg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1058
trbig
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
, Oklahoma
Posts: 327
Liked 88 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhamilto40 View Post
Not hitting the rice wine yet.. its not finished.

9.5 cups of short grain rice weighs about 2 kg (4.4 lb). I used Calrose which is a short grain type.

bulk density:

short grain polished rice 900 kg/m^3 = 900 g/L

Calculation:

9.5 cup ~= 2.25 liters

2.25 L * 900 g/L = 2025 g = 2.025 kg
OK.. Not that I'm a math wiz or anything, but I was thinking I used 12 cups out of a bag of 5lb Jasmine rice and had half a bag left. Then remembered, I split this batch half and half with sushi rice, so roughly 6 cups (Full sized U.S. cups) would come in for my rice at close to 2 1/2 lbs, or a little over a kilo. I need to weigh it to be official, but for 9.5 cups, that puts me in at close to 4 lbs with my rice.. so you win!

Quote:
I think someone's been hitting the rice wine...
Re-reading this, it looks to have come off really snide and hateful. I apologize. I was laughing and just messing around with you. I should have put a smiley icon in or something. Sorry.
__________________
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #1059
HopHeaven
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newark, NJ
Posts: 183
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


So I'm on vacation and dying to know how my rice wine is doing but it'll have to wait until Friday. I've been wondering about this mild though...it seems that some have been getting it and some not but the people with no mold are still getting good rice wine. I'm going to do some research when I get back but what's the deal with this stuff? Why is it beneficial? And what are the factors that are contributing to some people growin mold and others not? Last question: does the last bit of rice not liquefy? I'm only asking cause if there's mold on top I don't want that in my rice wine haha. Thanks guys and happy...rice cooking?
__________________
Primary: JAOM, RiceWine. Wine soaked raisin Apfelwein

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

mpride1911 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #1060
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,145
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
So I'm on vacation and dying to know how my rice wine is doing but it'll have to wait until Friday. I've been wondering about this mild though...it seems that some have been getting it and some not but the people with no mold are still getting good rice wine. I'm going to do some research when I get back but what's the deal with this stuff? Why is it beneficial? And what are the factors that are contributing to some people growin mold and others not? Last question: does the last bit of rice not liquefy? I'm only asking cause if there's mold on top I don't want that in my rice wine haha. Thanks guys and happy...rice cooking?
Oh everyone's has fungus in it whether you see it or not. That is what is breaking down the rice starch and making it available for the yeasties. My guess would be different yeast balls, different yeast ball ratios, different growing conditions, etc. all contribute to the different mold views.

The bottom line though was that if it wasn't there, you wouldn't have any amylase activity and you wouldn't have any rice wine.


__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatinizing rice for rice wine? Newton Winemaking Forum 17 09-16-2014 02:26 AM
SaTho - Thai traditional rice wine arachnyd Winemaking Forum 6 07-22-2014 11:18 PM
Rice wine from flaked rice? Newton Winemaking Forum 13 10-15-2010 03:22 PM
Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage) Starderup Winemaking Forum 3 06-17-2010 01:17 PM
Traditional red wine Celestyal Winemaking Forum 3 04-13-2010 12:20 AM


Forum Jump