Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need help quick, racking beer, question about Dry-hopping?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
RDC4687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need help quick, racking beer, question about Dry-hopping?

When I put the hops in the secondary to dry hop, do I need to sanitize them in some way? Flash boil or something? Or should I just trust they are clean? Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
mr_randy_watson
Recipes 

Just throw em in

Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2764 Times on 2401 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Just toss then in,or if using hop socks,spritz the socks with starsan,fill,tie off,& dump'em in.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC4687 View Post
When I put the hops in the secondary to dry hop, do I need to sanitize them in some way? Flash boil or something? Or should I just trust they are clean? Thanks!
Just toss them into the PRIMARY. Forget the secondary. Not needed 99% of the time.
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: German Dry Stout
Bottled in the refer: Wai`anae SummerAle Ale
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
ahaley
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider

Just toss them into the PRIMARY. Forget the secondary. Not needed 99% of the time.
What's the difference for using a primary to dry hop over a secondary for those of us who don't know?
Primary- less chance for oxidation and infection?
Secondary-less trub?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2764 Times on 2401 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Dry hopping in primary works about as well as secondary. Racking to secondary increases chance of infection or oxygenation of the beer. Besides another dirty brewing item to clean. Let the beer get to a stable FG a settle out clear,then dry hop one week. Works really well,& is quicker & easier.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley

What's the difference for using a primary to dry hop over a secondary for those of us who don't know?
Primary- less chance for oxidation and infection?
Secondary-less trub?
To answer your question, yes, you are correct. People used to rack to secondary for two reasons: to get their beer off of the settled yeast and to let it clear in a secondary chamber. This is much less common now because beers will settle out about as clear in the primary as they do in the secondary and the yeast used today compared to years ago is much more hearty (yeast used to die and decompose after a relatively short period of time, but strains are much better now).

As a result, many people don't rack to secondary because it is extra steps and extra contact with the beer. Most people will still rack to a secondary if they are adding something (fruit, oak chips, and yes, hops, among other things). I would guess that if you polled people it would be a pretty even split as to who dry hops in primary vs secondary.

If you want to go to a secondary to dry hop, go for it. But be reasonable - be careful not to splash the beer around to avoid oxidation and be very sanitary. You will be fine.

Or leave it in the primary and dry hop there. You will be fine.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
ahaley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste

To answer your question, yes, you are correct. People used to rack to secondary for two reasons: to get their beer off of the settled yeast and to let it clear in a secondary chamber. This is much less common now because beers will settle out about as clear in the primary as they do in the secondary and the yeast used today compared to years ago is much more hearty (yeast used to die and decompose after a relatively short period of time, but strains are much better now).

As a result, many people don't rack to secondary because it is extra steps and extra contact with the beer. Most people will still rack to a secondary if they are adding something (fruit, oak chips, and yes, hops, among other things). I would guess that if you polled people it would be a pretty even split as to who dry hops in primary vs secondary.

If you want to go to a secondary to dry hop, go for it. But be reasonable - be careful not to splash the beer around to avoid oxidation and be very sanitary. You will be fine.

Or leave it in the primary and dry hop there. You will be fine.
Cool thanks, I have a kiwi express ipa that's about a week into Primary and I didn't want to mess up my first ipa and dry hop. How long should I wait before taking a gravity reading? Let it sit like a month in primary before checking?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5736 Times on 4107 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley View Post
Cool thanks, I have a kiwi express ipa that's about a week into Primary and I didn't want to mess up my first ipa and dry hop. How long should I wait before taking a gravity reading? Let it sit like a month in primary before checking?
IPAs are all about fresh hops flavor and aroma. I normally leave the beer in the fermenter until it's finished and starting to clear. That's normally about 10-14 days. Then I add the dryhops, and package 5 days later.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
ahaley
Recipes 

Sounds good thanks, if it makes a difference, the northern brewer kit told me to dry hop 2 weeks before I bottle, is that sufficient time? It seems a little long knowing that you only do it for 5