Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Primary fermentation question

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
yeastluvr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Primary fermentation question

I have white wine fermenting in a 7.9 gallon bucket, lid, airlock. It is almost 6 gallons full. It is white wine off the skins. I usually rack wine into a carboy at around 1.020 or so. When I do this, I usually am not racking if off any lees. What I want to to this time is let the wine ferment out in the bucket as it is sealed with an airlock. I am assumin it will be purged of oxygen as it is bubbling like crazy and will continue for a while. Does anyone see a problem letting it sit in the primary for a couple weeks so it drops some yeast and material out of suspension? I am wanting to rack it off some lees as I will have to do it at some point anyway and it will save me racking out of the carboy so soon. If this shouldn't be a problem, how long would you let it sit in primary knowing it is sealed and purged of oxygen.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeastluvr
I have white wine fermenting in a 7.9 gallon bucket, lid, airlock. It is almost 6 gallons full. It is white wine off the skins. I usually rack wine into a carboy at around 1.020 or so. When I do this, I usually am not racking if off any lees. What I want to to this time is let the wine ferment out in the bucket as it is sealed with an airlock. I am assumin it will be purged of oxygen as it is bubbling like crazy and will continue for a while. Does anyone see a problem letting it sit in the primary for a couple weeks so it drops some yeast and material out of suspension? I am wanting to rack it off some lees as I will have to do it at some point anyway and it will save me racking out of the carboy so soon. If this this shouldn't be a problem, how long would you let it sit in primary knowing it is sealed and purged of oxygen.
Your plan is exactly how I do my whites, should not be a problem at all.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger