Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > FWH only recipe question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
oldthomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 1

Default FWH only recipe question

My question is whether or not only a FWH addition will bitter adequately. I've used the technique but have never made a recipe with only a FWH addition. I'm more or less committed to the recipe below, but I'd like to hear from the experienced. How would you describe your FWH only beers?

Recipe:
10# Maris Otter
3# Rye
1# Special B
2 oz Willamette FWH
WY3522 yeast

Thoughts?


oldthomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 702
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

I've done FWH and dry hop. FWH is nice but you're going to be lacking in the aroma department with the final product.


__________________
nurture my pig
thughes is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,681
Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default

I don't do IPA's but I do FWH all my other beers (Belgians and German lagers mostly). Any aroma hops go in at flameout, no hops in between FWH and flameout.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Boy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mt Hood, Oregon
Posts: 349
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Default

You generally need to up the amounts since a FWH is closer to a 20min add in IBUs. I'd also recommend a dry hop for the aroma
Boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
oldthomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
I don't do IPA's but I do FWH all my other beers (Belgians and German lagers mostly). Any aroma hops go in at flameout, no hops in between FWH and flameout.
Could you give me an example Belgian recipe that was a success?
oldthomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 702
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
You generally need to up the amounts since a FWH is closer to a 20min add in IBUs. I'd also recommend a dry hop for the aroma
With all due respect, why is this? Have you experimented to confirm this yourself? I know this is the oft-repeated "common knowledge" but I have done a few side-by-side tests with standard 60 minute addtition vs exact same amount as FWH. The percieved bitterness seemed the same to me and others that have tasted the experiments but there is something "different" about the FWH bittering. It's much more mellow and seems to hit the back off your tongue as it finishes.

The reason I did the experiments is that no one could tell me why hops that were boiled for over 60 minutes (FWH) should result in LESS bitterness than the standard 60 minute boil of bittering hops. So, why should a standard bittering charge boiled for 60 minutes give you "x" amount of IBU's but the same amount done as a FWH (and boiled longer than 60 minutes) only give you 20 minutes worth of IBU's?

I'm not trying to be combative, just so tired of the same old "truths" being repeated constantly and taken as gospel. Doesn't anybody else think to challenege these facts that just don't seem "right" or am I just some kind of rebellious freak?
__________________
nurture my pig
thughes is offline
oldthomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,389
Liked 474 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
You generally need to up the amounts since a FWH is closer to a 20min add in IBUs. I'd also recommend a dry hop for the aroma
That's my experience also.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,389
Liked 474 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
With all due respect, why is this? Have you experimented to confirm this yourself? I know this is the oft-repeated "common knowledge" but I have done a few side-by-side tests with standard 60 minute addtition vs exact same amount as FWH. The percieved bitterness seemed the same to me and others that have tasted the experiments but there is something "different" about the FWH bittering. It's much more mellow and seems to hit the back off your tongue as it finishes.

The reason I did the experiments is that no one could tell me why hops that were boiled for over 60 minutes (FWH) should result in LESS bitterness than the standard 60 minute boil of bittering hops. So, why should a standard bittering charge boiled for 60 minutes give you "x" amount of IBU's but the same amount done as a FWH (and boiled longer than 60 minutes) only give you 20 minutes worth of IBU's?

I'm not trying to be combative, just so tired of the same old "truths" being repeated constantly and taken as gospel. Doesn't anybody else think to challenege these facts that just don't seem "right" or am I just some kind of rebellious freak?
I have done the experiment and had the beers measured. I had many tasters in a blind triangle tasting. My conclusion is that although the FWH only beers measured about 10% more IBU, they tasted less bitter.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester
Posts: 702
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

So the measured IBU is actually higher? That would seem to confirm the theory that the longer boil of the FWH does result in more IBU.

I suppose that the "perceived" bitterness could be subjective dependent upon the individual taster? Perhaps the FWH bittering being less "harsh" could be construed as "less" bitter? Too many variables related to the palate of the individuals doing the tasting but I am glad to see that the actual measurement supports the thoery that longer boil = higher IBU (even though the perception of those higher IBU's in different). Thanks for the input!
__________________
nurture my pig
thughes is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Glynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elgin, Illinois
Posts: 1,290
Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

I'm going with rebellious freak lol


__________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale
Glynn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midwest Recipe question & bottling question blaster_54738 Gluten Free Brewing 1 05-29-2012 02:06 AM
Recipe Question discokid2k Recipes/Ingredients 5 05-28-2012 03:10 AM
Recipe Question Dilligaf76 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 06-21-2011 12:45 AM
Whirlflock question and recipe substitution question msa8967 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-19-2010 06:28 AM
Recipe Sparge Question (Beersmith Question) IrregularPulse All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 06-26-2008 06:10 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS