I recently got interested in Kombucha and I found 2 mushrooms: a very small one from a bottle of fresh kombucha, and a large one from someone I found online. I prepared two jars. I have no idea what I should with my two jars now, not sure if any of what's happening is normal...
The two jars normally have a cloth over them and they normally get very little light. Both mixtures have been at about 20C for close to two weeks now.
1. Very small mushroom from a bottle of fresh kombucha. About 2.5 litres of green tea, about 200g of sugar, about 20cl of fresh kombucha. After close to two weeks the mushroom has developed some mold at the water surface, there are some black spots on the water. pH is now about 4 (not sure when I started).
2. Large mushroom. About 2.5 litres of green tea, about 200g of sugar, a few drops of cider vinegar. I didn't have pH paper when I did it, pH is now about 3. A layer of hard-ish white stuff has developed these past 2 days on the surface. Is that a new baby kombucha??? If this one is healthy, I'm guess that since I used vinegar, the first 1-2 yields should not taste very good?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!