Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Competition Organizers lost my first blue ribbon, should I be mad?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I was volunteering in the craft brewfest that hosted the competition while winners were being announced

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been shafted on some ribbons too. I won a first and best in show and never got ribbons. Nobody got any, they were lost some how.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 521

I guess I would be equally angry. I have been waiting on a comp - scoresheets and medal for a month now myself. E-mail correspondence saying "going in the mail tomorrow" - meanwhile, 10 days later, still nothing.

I understand what some people are saying about - "only a ribbon/medal" or "it happens" and "get over it." But, you know what? People CHOOSE competitions based on what appears to be advertised. If a comp. does not want to mess with results and awards - advertise your comp. that way: "Please take the time, money and effort to enter and ship your beer to us. In return we will judge it, post results on line and from there we may or may not take the time and effort to send your scoresheets and any awards to you in a timely fashion . . . or at all for that matter."

Then, everyone can decide if they would like to enter that comp. or not. As for the "big" prize thing. I guess I see your point, but you kind of took the risk when you entered that category not knowing what it would be. And, most comps. give nothing more than ribbons, medals or minor things - so a $30-$40 kit is not a bad prize. Not a conical mind you, but, better than anything I have gotten for any of the 1st places I have gotten.

However, entering a comp. does entitle you to expect to receive scoresheets and awards in a timely fashion. If that is too much to ask from the people putting on the comp., then perhaps they should choose not to host one.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 845 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I gave up on competitions because of crap like this. Because this is a hobby that we have a passion for, we tend to overlook certain things, especially because of the RDWHAHB attitude that we think everyone has.

But common decency should still apply, not to mention the expectation that certain people will come through with what they promised they would do. I went through something a little worse with the East Coast vs. West Coast Competition awhile back, but you situation deserves no less attention from the organizers. No club or other group should be organizing competitions if they cannot carry out their promises in regards. Contact the AHA, that's what I did. It didn't really fix much, but at least if you let the organizers know that you're doing that it may make them send you the $1 ribbon they can't seem to find, and which you deserve.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I gave up on competitions because of crap like this. Because this is a hobby that we have a passion for, we tend to overlook certain things, especially because of the RDWHAHB attitude that we think everyone has.

But common decency should still apply, not to mention the expectation that certain people will come through with what they promised they would do. I went through something a little worse with the East Coast vs. West Coast Competition awhile back, but you situation deserves no less attention from the organizers. No club or other group should be organizing competitions if they cannot carry out their promises in regards. Contact the AHA, that's what I did. It didn't really fix much, but at least if you let the organizers know that you're doing that it may make them send you the $1 ribbon they can't seem to find, and which you deserve.
Exactly. It's not the size of the prize or even the mising ribbon that's ridiculous, it's the apathy: "we'll bring it up at the meeting". Why would the organizer need to bring up something so trivial at the meeting ? What kind of organization needs to talk this over at length ? Why not just jump in the car and order another one ? Because they have no intentions of sending anything and they hoped it would make OP shut up about it.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 869 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 495

I had something similar happen last year. I won a couple ribbons but never recieved my score sheets. I received my ribbons though and a note saying that apparently someone at the competition threw a box of score sheets away. They had no problem cashing my check though, before they mailed out the ribbons...

Anyway, if you're upset about it let the AHA and BJCP know. If it's a sanctioned competition they should look into it as their organizations have their names on it.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2971 Times on 2565 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

They didn't Loose anything. The more I think about it,the more stories you guys relate,the mmore this reminds me of a bust on one such fleecing operation where a couple guys took the beers sent in,& the money,& that was it. nada.zipo. they got raided with the beers in there small houses. Seems to me the money was never recovered,though. Good thing it wasn't me or my extended family. WV rednecks that like killin shizz. Especially those tha do us wrong. One marshall learned that the hard way on our mountain. He was in the news some 10 years ago now,because his badge # survived...that's all I'm sayin. You screw me or mine...guess what A-hole!!.......

Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
As for the "big" prize thing. I guess I see your point, but you kind of took the risk when you entered that category not knowing what it would be. And, most comps. give nothing more than ribbons, medals or minor things - so a $30-$40 kit is not a bad prize. Not a conical mind you, but, better than anything I have gotten for any of the 1st places I have gotten.
Yea, I know I took a gamble and it didn't turn out half bad =P I'm not upset about the prize, its is decent considering the average blue ribbon payout.

Just tired of getting the runaround. I sent one final email to the organizer. The next step will be contacting the BJCP and AHA.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Still no response. I am going to send a link to this thread to the club and give them a chance to fix things.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

So I sent a link of this thread to the club and got a response from the organizer that day. Victory!
The power of HBT

People Like This