Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Competition Organizers lost my first blue ribbon, should I be mad?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Competition Organizers lost my first blue ribbon, should I be mad?

So I took a blue ribbon in a category at a regional competition recently (http://www.savannahbrewers.com/summersuds.php). When they sent my prize, it came with a note saying they'd misplaced my ribbon. It's my first 1st ribbon so I kinda really wanted it.
Anywho, I emailed the organizer after a month has passed to see if they'd gotten me a new one and get the response:
"We have a meeting tonight and will discuss it then. "
It has been a week and I haven't heard back. AHA membership wasn't required for this event, but it was a large competition with $7 entry fees. What is the policy if a 'prize' is lost? I think at the very least I deserve a refund of my entry fee.
The category I won was a category created specifically for the competition called 'C29 Lowcountry ale' with which we had to write a short essay about why our beer typifies the area as 25% of our score. I noticed the organizer took third in the category, I wonder if he got his ribbon. All of this and the fact the category touted 'BIG' prizes on the registry site. This 'BIG' prize ended up being quite disappointing. (extract kit prize is 'BIG'?) Best in show got a conical and cash I think Now thats a BIG prize. But whatever, they didn't say the prize and maybe its BIG to the organizer, I'm more bent outta shape about the ribbon.
What do you guys think I should do now?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I understand your frustration about the ribbon, but try not to worry about it too much. All of us who enter competitions want to do well, and we want the recognition that goes with winning or placing in a competition. While it is aggravating that the organizer has not come through with delivering the ribbon, don't let that diminish your satisfaction in the knowledge that you won.

As for the extract kit not being a very "big" prize, also try not to get too fired up about that either. If your whole motivation for entering the contest was an opportunity to win a conical or some other 'big" prize, then an extract kit does seem pretty insignificant, but I doubt that was the ONLY reason you entered. Just remember that you won... Your beer was the best beer in that category that day. Maybe I have not won enough to get to the point where placing in a competition has lost it's intrinsic value yet, but I would try to be happy THAT I won, and try to worry less about WHAT I won.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
beeber
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on making a winning brew! Get yourself a ribbon to remember the achievement and move on.

I once won a club only competition (imperials) and submitted two more bottles to be sent to the national competition. They were not packaged well by the club and got smashed in transit. Ouch!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2609 Posts
Likes Given: 2144

Idk...I'd be a bit hacked at what could just be sour grapes on their part. Jump on says I. Winnings wining & they made an agreement with the public they didn't fullfil or try to make restitution on.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
VegasJ

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
I noticed the organizer took third in the category, I wonder if he got his ribbon.

yea... he probably got a blue 1st place ribbon.

But congrats on winning! Ask them if they can at least send a picture of what it would look like so you can hang one on the wall

Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

If I had been the one responsible for sending the ribbons, and I lost it, I'd pony up my own cash to replace it. Bring it up at the meeting? Really? I guess in the grand scheme of things it's just a minor irritation, but it would still get my goat.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
shelly_belly
Power To Love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If they can't come up with a replacement ribbon then they are a bunch of douche-bags.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I were you, I'd publish the name of the competition and I wouldn't tiptoe around. What the hell are they thinking ? We'll bring it up to the meeting ? What kind of response is that ?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yea, kinda why I posted the link on the General Beer Discussion (its in parenthesis in my first post). Figured I'd try to stir up the community a bit and maybe someone from their club with some sense will be able to fix the issue. They have a presence on these forums: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f204/201...g-31-a-340837/
I would've entered that beer in another category if it wasn't for the 'BIG' prizes honestly. It was one of my best brews ever, I would be confident to enter it in an appropriate BJCP category, but I figured I'd put my chips where I could win something substantial. If you look a ways down on that thread I just linked you can also see the organizer say the following to me:
"We'll be sorting prizes over the next week. Yes, the Low Country Ale will get something "big". Not sure what yet, but it will be big."
As you can see the grand prizes were actually BIG. Dont get me wrong the BrewmastersWarehouse guys who took all the best prizes are beasts, I just figured my prize would be comparable.

Since it was a technically a writing contest as well, I am especially aggravated as I feel my time and words are also of value and have been disrespected. Guess that's the way life goes, just disappointed in the professionalism of the organizers.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
FarmerTed

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 309

I'd just let it go; it's just a ribbon, right? I've entered two competitions to date, and in the first one I won the saison category. The same thing basically happened to me. I got my score-sheets in the mail, but no medal. Boo-hoo-hoo, I said, but I got over it. I'm not 10 anymore, and when it comes down to it, if I really wanted a medal, I could probably just shell out for a really bitchin' one online. I entered a second contest almost 3 months ago, and still haven't heard back from the organizers. They posted the results online (top 3 in each category), so I know I didn't win anything. But, I really just wanted some feedback on that beer, and it looks like it isn't coming. Hell, I'm a big boy. I've been stood up before. It's annoying, but I've gotten over the second one as well. Something weird went on with that competition, anyway. I paid my entry fee over paypal, the payment is still confirmed on the comp website, but about a week or two after I entered my beer, paypal wrote me back and told me that there was no account for the organizer and refunded my money. I didn't see the email until a few weeks after the comp, so I don't even know if my beer was judged. At least I didn't pay for this one, but I did have to give up a couple bottles of beer.

I guess you probably need to go to the competitions if you really want your prize(s). I wasn't able to attend either. Maybe I'll go to the first comp next year, if I enter anything that I think might place. I won't be entering the second one ever again. I get the feeling that at the end of the judging and awarding, everyone's pretty much worn out/tanked, and so if you're not there to claim your booty, you will either have to wait a long time or kiss it good bye.