Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got a great free bottle of Syrah. What would blend well with it?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
taylja06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Got a great free bottle of Syrah. What would blend well with it?

Was thinking of soaking cocoa nibs in it for a few weeks then adding to secondary for a smoked stout, but that may be a bit off the wall. Any ideas?

I don't really drink wine so I just wanna do something homebrewy with it. The sample I had was delicious.
Kegged: Smoked Red with Juniper, Spiced Brown Ale (Autumn Warmer)

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd drink it, but if you want to use some of it for homebrewing, I'd do a long soak with some oak cubes/chips in it and use it something. Maybe a saison or a barleywine, or try it across multiple styles and see how the Syrah blends with them. The only blonde I've really liked was aged in Pinot barrels.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
taylja06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hmm, makes sense. I just don't drink wine on my own outside tiny tasting glasses, but like the lingering taste. The oak cube idea makes sense, especially smoked ones if I go with the smoked porter.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

doesn't wine get weird quickly when oxidized?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
taylja06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have no idea, hence why I came here. I know I've seen wine-soaked things before, but I have no idea how / what specifically was used.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
doesn't wine get weird quickly when oxidized?
Good point, a CO2 purge might be called for. It's not like letting the bottle breathe for a bit prior to serving.