Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Japan Hops Trading - 日本でホプスやりとり

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #21
ShizuokaBrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi. I've never used this company but I remember reading in a thread somewhere that they ship rhizomes internationally. I think you have to contact them directly to get quotes on prices but I seem to remember that it costs something like 25$ for the paper work to get them shipped here.
http://www.freshops.com/

Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #22
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got my sample from Bruhahops today. Wonderful smelling UK Challenger. I've got a recipe these will work in too! Going to have to bump up my brew schedule I think

Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaBrad View Post
Hi. I've never used this company but I remember reading in a thread somewhere that they ship rhizomes internationally. I think you have to contact them directly to get quotes on prices but I seem to remember that it costs something like 25$ for the paper work to get them shipped here.
http://www.freshops.com/
Thanks for the lead Brad! I just sent them a message asking if they can confirm the ability to ship here. If they say yes I think anyone interested needs to hurry and get orders in, I have read elsewhere that you need to order rhizomes well in advance, early spring is when distributors ship and by then its too late to order.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Considering the customs fees, a group buy might be a good idea. Domestic shipping once it hits Japan is quite cheap.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #25
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Just got a reply. Its yes and 30 USD for the fee, 15 rhizome minimum order though so that makes the group buy sound good. Also they say check back in March so I guess we dont need to rush.
Cheers!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #26
bruhahops
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Hey guys, just an update. I'm going to be in the Tokyo area from Dec. 30th - Jan. 5th. My girlfriend and I are trying to book places through airbnb, and are having some success, but I just wanted to see if you guys happen to know of any gems of hotels or hostels accessible to Central Tokyo. We might stay with a guy in Ota (near Rokugodote Station on the Keikyu Main Line.) Does anyone know about how much a train would cost from Ota to Shinagawa? About how long it would take? Or how late the trains run?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You may or may not be into this, but a love hotel is a truly Japanese experience. Very cheap to stay overnight, although you can also pay by the hour. They are scattered everywhere, so a taxi driver will be able to take you with just those two words, "love hotel". They're not as raunchy as they sound. They may actually have better accommodations than a lot of other places, and in my experience the cost averages only 6000-7000 per night. And you'll probably find vacancy pretty easily. Some of them are even automated so you don't have to feel strange talking to a desk clerk or something.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Many of them also have great views (of the a river, mountain, or similar).

Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Just mentioning in the thread here so I dont forget later: I will send a cutting each of the Magnum and Centennial rhizomes I have to Okinawa in the spring. Theres a fairly big group down there so after a season I am sure they will have split off more and we (homebrewers in japan) will have a bigger base of rhizomes to share (of the 2 types I have so far) . Cheers!

If you are still looking for a hotel; near Kanda station I stayed at Comfort Inn. It was cheapish and clean and walking distance to Devilcraft. One station from Tokyo as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #30
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhahops View Post
Hey guys, just an update. I'm going to be in the Tokyo area from Dec. 30th - Jan. 5th. My girlfriend and I are trying to book places through airbnb, and are having some success, but I just wanted to see if you guys happen to know of any gems of hotels or hostels accessible to Central Tokyo. We might stay with a guy in Ota (near Rokugodote Station on the Keikyu Main Line.) Does anyone know about how much a train would cost from Ota to Shinagawa? About how long it would take? Or how late the trains run?
From Rokugodote to Shinagawa takes ~15 minutes if you transfer at Keikyu Kamata station to an express train. If you want to stay on one train the whole time, it takes 23-28 minutes, depending on the time of day. It costs ¥220.

Your last trains:
Rokugodote to Shinagawa: 23:58
Shinagawa to Rokugodote: 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT View Post
You may or may not be into this, but a love hotel is a truly Japanese experience. Very cheap to stay overnight, although you can also pay by the hour. They are scattered everywhere, so a taxi driver will be able to take you with just those two words, "love hotel". They're not as raunchy as they sound. They may actually have better accommodations than a lot of other places, and in my experience the cost averages only 6000-7000 per night. And you'll probably find vacancy pretty easily. Some of them are even automated so you don't have to feel strange talking to a desk clerk or something.
+1. Love hotels are great. Like WhoZiT says, many of them have better accommodations than a regular hotel. The only thing is, you're not going to have a concierge, and they're one night only, so you can't check your bags.

What are you looking to do, and where are you primarily going to be? I don't know what your budget is, but the Excel Hotel (http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/T...IBU/index.html) in Shibuya has been a great spot for acquaintances that have visited. It's in a real central location, and unless you're out partying in the "sticks," you don't have to worry about last trains, as you'll either be walking distance of the hotel, or a short, cheap cab ride.

PM me if you have any specific questions.