Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DIY cold crashing

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
DanseMacabre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok, back to the original question/problem: Are you seeing a visibly cloudy beer? If it is in a pale, I'm not sure how you can tell. Or are you just trying to cold crash because you think it is a step you should take?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
Ok, back to the original question/problem: Are you seeing a visibly cloudy beer? If it is in a pale, I'm not sure how you can tell. Or are you just trying to cold crash because you think it is a step you should take?
eh, it was just to see if it could be done type of thing. my pales are ALWAYS a LITTLE cloudy, (but never bothers me, they taste great). just curious HOW clear I could get it since I never tried cold crashing before.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
DanseMacabre
Recipes 

yeah I hear it. In the absence of cold temps (which allow multiple options for dropping stuff out of suspension and clearing beer), the only option I know of is longer time on the primary. Unfortunately, nobody wants to here that (me included). But it does help

Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the BN's podcast series Brew Strong episode from 11/01/09, Beer Haze, with Dr. Charlie Banforth. I happened to be listening to this episode this morning. Before you try haze clearing techniques, you'll want to have a better idea of what might be causing it in your beers.

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison