Wyeast smack pack question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wyeast smack pack question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Thought my brew day was gonna be yesterday so I purchased a Wyeast smack pack (1056) yesterday, smacked it, however forgot an ingredient so I couldn't brew until today. I placed the smacked smack pack in my fridge over night and used it for my wort today. My question is, will I have any problems? Should I maybe add another fresh pack tomorrow?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
geim32
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Hammonton, New Jersey
Posts: 160
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


U should b fine don't worry about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Shoulda just left it out at room temp. Warm it up for awhile before you use it, but it'll be fine.

I don't wanna be that guy, but look into making a "yeast starter" when using liquid yeast. It's the best way to go.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
gbx
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 770
Liked 123 Times on 87 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Shoulda just left it out at room temp. Warm it up for awhile before you use it, but it'll be fine.

I don't wanna be that guy, but look into making a "yeast starter" when using liquid yeast. It's the best way to go.
...yes...not to be that guy but....rather than putting the yeast back in the fridge, whip up a quick yeast starter and pitch the yeast into it. When you get around to brewing the next day, you'll have actively fermenting yeast that will be krausening within a couple hours.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
...yes...not to be that guy but....rather than putting the yeast back in the fridge, whip up a quick yeast starter and pitch the yeast into it. When you get around to brewing the next day, you'll have actively fermenting yeast that will be krausening within a couple hours.
Yeah, that's probably the OP's best bet now. (not that the OP's yeast is anything but ok, but it's ALWAYs the best bet with liquid) The one way to be sure the yeast is "ok" or whatever, is to make a starter.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Posts: 7,178
Liked 2196 Times on 1377 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
The one way to be sure the yeast is "ok" or whatever, is to make a starter.
maybe

I always make starters, well didn't always but do now. Have a 2k ml flask and stir plate. How do you know with a stir plate the yeast are getting it on and multiplying? There is no krausen, and I'm not quite sure the sediment at the bottom is just trub or yeast.

Never put any thought to this until last weekend. The yeast had been exposed to hot temps for a week. The starter worked for sure though. The fermenter was aggressively chugging away within 4 hours of pitching/64 degrees and is still ryhthmlicly blowing off a rapid cadence of CO2 farts 84 hours later.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
maybe

I always make starters, well didn't always but do now. Have a 2k ml flask and stir plate. How do you know with a stir plate the yeast are getting it on and multiplying? There is no krausen, and I'm not quite sure the sediment at the bottom is just trub or yeast.
Dan, I'd call a duck a duck here. I totally see what you're saying, but if there's significant sedimentation when you turn the plate off, I'd say it's safe to assume that there's been some growth in the starter.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Posts: 7,178
Liked 2196 Times on 1377 Posts


That's kind of what I always assumed and believe it was the correct assumption. I guess I just got the worries for nothing. Yeast are resillient I know. I'm like an over protective parent at times. Ha ha...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That's kind of what I always assumed and believe it was the correct assumption. I guess I just got the worries for nothing. Yeast are resillient I know. I'm like an over protective parent at times. Ha ha...
You 'n' me both, man.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Dan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Gameface
 
Gameface's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,817
Liked 491 Times on 284 Posts


I'm going to make a starter today with a smack pack I activated 2 weeks ago. Not what I planned and not ideal, but I'm 99% sure it's gonna work. Why am I so sure? Well, this isn't the first time this has happened.

Yeast are strong like bull.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wyeast smack pack question basilchef General Beer Discussion 3 06-24-2012 10:00 PM
Wyeast smack pack question Meddle Fermentation & Yeast 2 07-06-2010 05:40 AM
Wyeast smack pack question iswenson Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 01-17-2010 07:48 PM
Wyeast smack pack question mikechambers Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-23-2008 09:10 PM
Wyeast smack pack question. TimmyMcOwnsYou Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-30-2007 08:23 PM


Forum Jump