HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Thoughts on Ward Laboratories Water Test?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canaan New Hampshire, NH
Posts: 735
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Thoughts on Ward Laboratories Water Test?

https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

$36. I'm going to do this and finally start giving a crap about my water. A pro-brewer friend of mine makes excellent beer. I got one of his recipes and made it at home (yes I know other factors are involved) but the mouth feel and overall quality was no where close.

I'm wondering if there's a cheaper test available?


---Before the questions come in, I'm out in the middle of nowhere..about an hour from any town / city so my water is off two wells and rely heavily on the rain we get. There's a running river behind the house and I brew beers off the tap water. It's a new hot water heater so there aren't a lot of mineral deposits but the house is hold so plumbing may have some rust. I'm honestly not sure.

It tastes great to drink. Pretty soft.

__________________
I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile
adamjackson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,435
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

$36. I'm going to do this and finally start giving a crap about my water. A pro-brewer friend of mine makes excellent beer. I got one of his recipes and made it at home (yes I know other factors are involved) but the mouth feel and overall quality was no where close.

I'm wondering if there's a cheaper test available?


---Before the questions come in, I'm out in the middle of nowhere..about an hour from any town / city so my water is off two wells and rely heavily on the rain we get. There's a running river behind the house and I brew beers off the tap water. It's a new hot water heater so there aren't a lot of mineral deposits but the house is hold so plumbing may have some rust. I'm honestly not sure.

It tastes great to drink. Pretty soft.

Many people get the W-6 test, which should be enough. If your water is heavily influenced by rain you might be chasing a ghost of sorts, though.
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canaan New Hampshire, NH
Posts: 735
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Many people get the W-6 test, which should be enough. If your water is heavily influenced by rain you might be chasing a ghost of sorts, though.
Really? Why is that? Just rain patterns..it is "filtered" to a degree as it goes through the ground and into the well. I feel like our water does taste better in the spring when all of the snow melts (usually 4 feet deep snow in our yard) and that fills the river and water tastes better. It gets more minerally in the fall.
__________________
I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile
adamjackson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 7,175
Liked 879 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

The influence of rain will depend on the depth of the well(s). If they are tapping a deep aquifer how much it rains somewhere quite distant from you will be more important than the rain patterns at your location. Get the test done to see what's nominal and then you can either decide to go with that (which, if the water is low in mineral content is OK) or get additional tests or do some testing yourself to see about variability over time. If the water is variable an RO system is a possibility not so much because it takes out the minerals (which of course it does) but because in so doing it takes out the variability.
ajdelange is online now
adamjackson Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,435
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
Really? Why is that? Just rain patterns..it is "filtered" to a degree as it goes through the ground and into the well. I feel like our water does taste better in the spring when all of the snow melts (usually 4 feet deep snow in our yard) and that fills the river and water tastes better. It gets more minerally in the fall.
In general that more minerally taste is going to mean higher alkalinity, which will make for a harder time getting your mash pH in line. But, I'd wager (though one can't be certain) you must have a fair bit of variability (over the year at least) if you an so clearly taste the difference.
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canaan New Hampshire, NH
Posts: 735
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
In general that more minerally taste is going to mean higher alkalinity, which will make for a harder time getting your mash pH in line. But, I'd wager (though one can't be certain) you must have a fair bit of variability (over the year at least) if you an so clearly taste the difference.
or more likely, I'm just insane.

__________________
I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile
adamjackson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mabrungard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,164
Liked 276 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

If the OP is from New Hampshire, aren't the mountains up there mostly igneous? I don't believe there are carbonate aquifers or deposits up there. Mineralliness in the case of groundwater from a non-carbonate aquifer may be more likely from other metal ions like Fe and Mn.
__________________
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canaan New Hampshire, NH
Posts: 735
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
If the OP is from New Hampshire, aren't the mountains up there mostly igneous? I don't believe there are carbonate aquifers or deposits up there. Mineralliness in the case of groundwater from a non-carbonate aquifer may be more likely from other metal ions like Fe and Mn.
Good question. NO idea. I'm living on a mountain. Peak is a few thousand feet and the rain feeds into 4 rivers (one running behind my house) that feed into a lake that's about 4 square miles in size.
__________________
I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile
adamjackson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 201
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I have used the w-6 test, $16.50. download the order form, fill water bottle and send. It gives you all the tests. It gives everything that the beer test for 26.50 gives except phosphorus and iron.
http://www.wardlab.com/images/Sample...HomeBrewer.pdf
zrule is offline
adamjackson Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Send In Water For Ward Labs Test HenryHill Brew Science 101 07-26-2014 04:47 PM
Which Ward Labs Test 5 or 6? ebstauffer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 08-03-2012 10:50 PM
Finally got a Ward Labs test - Can anybody help me translate? HopheadNJ Brew Science 3 02-29-2012 11:24 AM
Emmaus, Pa Ward Water test Jbt Brew Science 17 01-10-2012 07:46 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS