Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pumpkin Pie Spice Mead

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
LFCider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks promising!

I just made a similar spiced cyser, myself; probably more like taishojojo's. The differences in mine were that: 1) I used half your amount of ground cloves and replaced that half with allspice, 2) I had 4 cups of 1/2" baked pumpkin cubes in the primary, 3) I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 4) the big one - I added the spices in at secondary as part of a "tea": the spices steeped for 15 min. in a 1/4 cup of freshly-boiled water.

A few different variables, but I'm still interested as to how your batch turns out. I don't think the pumpkin will play a huge role... a slight vegetal flavor, at best. I'm most curious about how the timed addition of spices and steeping/direct addition of spices play out in the flavor profiles.

Good luck and happy brewing! I'll be tuning in now and then to see what's good.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal4x4 View Post
I have a similar going but added 1 cup of pumpkin pie filling to it. It's only been 3 weeks, but so far it's acting like it should.
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
TattooedViking9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.
That is exactly the reason I chose to omit the pumpkin. I have read on MANY posts here that the spices are what is recognized as "pumpkin pie" flavor anyway. I have had wines from pumpkin, and they are delicious. But I wanted the subtlety of the honey to shine above the spice. I might have failed in doing so, as I tasted it when I racked it. The spices are prominent, but I hope with about 12 months age they will mellow and blend quite nicely.

CHEERS
#1-Pumpkin Pie Spice Mead #2-Blackberry mead #3-JAOM #4-Tropical Wine #5-Apple Wine
Aging
#1-White Grape/Peach #2-Agave #3-Blackberry/Raspberry #4-Apple/Cherry