Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Cheap 3-Tier Gravity Setup

Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
gregboyd3rd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Good to know and I'll do some more research on that.

I do plan on lowering the HLT most definitely and will figure out the exact height once I get the valve installed on it. I'll probably have the valve just above the tallest point of the MLT once I take the lid off for the sparge phase. I will probably have to figure out some sort of heat barrier so it doesn't melt the plastic while I'm heating up the HLT water but I may not have to either so we'll see once I get it all configured.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would also make your chains "straighter" = as you get more and more of an angle, the actual force on them and the hooks goes WAY up. It was a calculation I used to do when I rock climbed (back before knees and feet went to crap. . .)

Believe it or not, at certain angles the force on the chain/hook will be MORE than the weight of the keggle/water. . .

You want them as close to vertical as you can - up to about 45deg.

Here's a quick reference: http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces

In Primary: empty for now
Next up: Gold Dust Pale, Boxer Strings Nut Brown

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
gregboyd3rd
Recipes 

Huh, never thought about this which is why I LOVE this forum. I'll have to check the angle once I lower the HLT to the correct height but luckily I have the weight distributed between 4 points.

So after looking over that site....a keg ~30 lbs empty plus I'll go on the high side of 10 gallons in my HLT ~85 lbs totally ~115 lbs. A single chain can handle 550 lbs and I have 2 plus a single hook can handle 150 lbs and I have 4 and the hooks are the weakest part of this setup. Even if I'm at the critical angle of 120 degrees that would mean I have a total weight of 230 lbs and 2 hooks should be able to handle 300 lbs at this angle. Again, I am quoting high side so I SHOULD be good. I guess since I'm just over 200 lbs myself I'll just hang from the chains for some testing and do some pullups while I'm at it.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just as long as you hang by the ears. . . that should do it!
In Primary: empty for now
Next up: Gold Dust Pale, Boxer Strings Nut Brown