Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Creamy Malt?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So are you looking to make a cream ale, or a 'creamy tasting' ale. A cream ale is its own style in which lactose would be very inappropriate.

To me lactose doesn't add much body or cream flavor, but rather a thinner subtle sweetness that is hard to define. It's a little different than the sweet that you attribute to table sugar, maybe a little creamy, but not what I think you are looking for...

Old 10-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Some more information would be helpful here. What style of beer are you planning on making? In the OP you said you want a "creamy flavor." Let's clarify a bit. Are you going after thickness, smoothness, sweetness or some combination of the three. This, along with the beer style will help us suggest appropriate ingredients to reach your goal.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a recipe, in the recipe section of course, for a Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. Might be something you can check out to get some ideas

Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Yup, totally missed the bit about trying to make a cream ale. You DON'T want any creaminess in this beer- it's supposed to be very light and dry. It's just a name, like English bitter (not a bitter beer at all). You DO need some corn though, to be a real cream ale.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com