Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > German DIPA?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default German DIPA?

I have an alt in primary right now and I am planning on doing an double IPA for my next batch.
For purpose of cost for yeast and dme and the hassle of making a huge starter for a DIPA with an og of 1.08-1.084 I would like to use most of the yeast cake from the alt. I am using wyeast 1007 German ale for the alt.
I have read that some people consider 1007 to be the "European 1056" and produces a nice "clean" profile when fermented at low temps (low 60's), and it can do well for American style ales and ipa's. It just tends to take a long time to floc and even longer to clear (if ever entirely).
I also know that putting fresh wort on a fresh yeast cake is a debatable practice, so if I do so I will probably pour out some of the cake so I'm not totally over pitching.
I have not read about anyone doing an imperial but would love to use this convenience if I can.
All thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6201 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
I have an alt in primary right now and I am planning on doing an double IPA for my next batch.
For purpose of cost for yeast and dme and the hassle of making a huge starter for a DIPA with an og of 1.08-1.084 I would like to use most of the yeast cake from the alt. I am using wyeast 1007 German ale for the alt.
I have read that some people consider 1007 to be the "European 1056" and produces a nice "clean" profile when fermented at low temps (low 60's), and it can do well for American style ales and ipa's. It just tends to take a long time to floc and even longer to clear (if ever entirely).
I also know that putting fresh wort on a fresh yeast cake is a debatable practice, so if I do so I will probably pour out some of the cake so I'm not totally over pitching.
I have not read about anyone doing an imperial but would love to use this convenience if I can.
All thoughts and suggestions appreciated
Sure, why not? A super clean profile for a DIPA sounds perfect. I've used other yeast strains that are not traditional, but very clean at low temperatures for IPAs and DIPAs and think it's a great idea.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Sure, why not? A super clean profile for a DIPA sounds perfect. I've used other yeast strains that are not traditional, but very clean at low temperatures for IPAs and DIPAs and think it's a great idea.
Thanks Yooper! I'll let you know how it turns out.