Aeration - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aeration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
WTexan
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 128


I added continual aeration to my system during my last brew day. I was looking forward to trying the beer when finished but, when I tried it had an off taste, it was hard on my tongue almost like paint thinner.
So my question is this could I have over oxygenated and if so what is the best way to control using continual aeration?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
fixitoscar
 
fixitoscar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
IE, california
Posts: 274
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


describe what continual aeration is. the taste you are talking about sounds like over aeration.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
cooper
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
OFallon, IL
Posts: 469
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts


What was your recipe and your steps?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
WTexan
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitoscar
describe what continual aeration is. the taste you are talking about sounds like over aeration.
I adde a T that my my wort runs threw but in the middle I add a .5 stone. So the wort never slows down. I turn on the oxygen and let the wort flow over the stone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
WTexan
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper
What was your recipe and your steps?
It was just a brown ale. Nothing special I was showing a friend how to brew extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
TopherM
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,974
Liked 450 Times on 355 Posts


Did you buy a pond pump type aeration system, or a pure O2 system?

About 15 minutes of aeration will properly oxygenate the wort for yeast health. You would really have to literally do it for 30-45 minutes + to over aerate, and if you did, the off taste would be more like stale/cardboard, not paint thinner, so I don't think you over aerated.

Paint thinner/acetone off flavor would be associated more with out of balance alcohol or fusel alcohols. Did you add any simple sugars to your recipe that were not in the original recipe, like sugar, brown sugar, DME, LME, honey, etc.? Did you ferment at a relatively high temp, like 70+? Those would be the common culprits.
__________________
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
WTexan
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM
Did you buy a pond pump type aeration system, or a pure O2 system?

About 15 minutes of aeration will properly oxygenate the wort for yeast health. You would really have to literally do it for 30-45 minutes + to over aerate, and if you did, the off taste would be more like stale/cardboard, not paint thinner, so I don't think you over aerated.

Paint thinner/acetone off flavor would be associated more with out of balance alcohol or fusel alcohols. Did you add any simple sugars to your recipe that were not in the original recipe, like sugar, brown sugar, DME, LME, honey, etc.? Did you ferment at a relatively high temp, like 70+? Those would be the common culprits.
TopherM

Yes I did add some liquid sugar and my wife did unplug my refrigerator on me by accident. When I found it the next morning it was at 80 digress.
Also I am using the O2 in the red bottle like you get from Lowes are Home Depot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
fixitoscar
 
fixitoscar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
IE, california
Posts: 274
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post
I adde a T that my my wort runs threw but in the middle I add a .5 stone. So the wort never slows down. I turn on the oxygen and let the wort flow over the stone.
If you are using pure o2 then its possible you are over aerating.
If its an aquarium pump its pretty much impossible to over aerate.

Using pure o2 and a .5 stone i do a liter a minute for a minute and a half.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
cooper
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
OFallon, IL
Posts: 469
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts


Did you do a full boil extract batch? How much water did you use to steep your specialty grains in? I've had problems with tannin extraction in the past by steeping my specialty grains in 5.5 gallons of water and the PH getting way too high.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
WTexan
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitoscar

If you are using pure o2 then its possible you are over aerating.
If its an aquarium pump its pretty much impossible to over aerate.

Using pure o2 and a .5 stone i do a liter a minute for a minute and a half.
Fixitoscar

Is the liter a minute with the wort in the carboy are running over it as I described?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump